How to get item information into a email for items that meet the query for a site workflow

• 3 November 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

I have a site workflow that queries a list where the start date = the current date. Now my question is how do I provide the information in a email for the end user?

They want a email sent so they can view what meetings they have for the day on their phones. We don't have Nintex Mobile configured due to security right now, so I cannot just provide them a link to the item in an email.

5 replies

Badge +5

Hi Emily,

Do you want to email them a table with the information in a table?

Badge +4

If you're just wanting to display the date in the email you could use this to display it in a format like "January 1, 2016":

fn-FormatDate(StartDate,MMMM dd), fn-FormatDate(StartDate,yyyy).

If you have multiple items you want to display you will need to create a "query list" action and create a collection of the dates and associated event text you want to display to the user in the email. it'll take some work and such to do it but I will outline a rough method of doing it below. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat so maybe someone else would have a better and more efficient way to do it.

• You might consider using a "string builder" to assemble the event text and times if you have a lot of data because it can get very messy. The easiest way to do that is to append a variable with each loop of the text storing the columns in separate variables during each loop:
    • Create a multiple lines of text variable to store the final "message" to the user that will have all the events and times in it.
    • loop for each item in the event text collection:
      • Store Start time to variable
      • Store associated event text to another variable
      • use string builder to append the above variables to the string
        • message + new Line + Event Text + " " + Start Time
      • end loop
    • create email and put the built string into it

I'm not all that great with the details of how to do each step, but maybe this will help get you moving in the right direction or at least in a direction and someone else can roll with the specifics. I'm not sure of all your details, but this is one way you could do it.

Badge +5

Emily,

Can you give me more details please?

I just created a html table from a Calendar. The requirements give me all events for day. In the table I display the Title and time and send it to the users in an email with a schedule Site WF. 

Melissa

Badge +6

How do you create a html table? Can you attach the copy of you WF by any chance?

I attached my calendar template file so you can see my list. I just need the Meeting title, location, attendees and additional requests columns to show up in the email.

Badge +5

Hi Emily,

It's pretty easy once you know what to do!

Take a look at this link it help me if you get stuck let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Creating attractive emails with HTML tables in Nintex

Melissa