Action not found error

• 9 August 2011
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi

I have assigned a Role to an activity destination and selected 'Plan just once' with 1 slot. When User1 tries to complete the task, I get an error 'Action Submit is not found'. I have checked my web.config and <identity impersonate = 'true'>. I also noticed that when the User1 opens the task and i refresh the task list, the Status is 'Available'. Should it not be 'Open'? And User2 can also see the same task as 'Available'.

Thanks

Lena

4 replies

Badge +10

Hi Lena,

Sure sounds like a strange one, but I think it might be something simple which is the cause.

Firstly, check that the task being opened is the correct one. Check the Serial number in the query string and check whether the first part of the query string refers to the correct process instance ID which you expect. If this is different, look at the way you retrieve the item and also remember to check things like postback when a page is reloaded.

Another test you can do is to execute the Submit action directly from either user's worklist (assuming you have batch actions on for the submit action). If this works then at least you know the workflow and the actions are configured correctly, and that the problem lies somewhere in your web application.

If it is isolated from your web application, write out the process instance ID to your web application after you have opened the instance and again just before you try to action the item (Debugging and using the Watch window will also work).

Also ensure that you are not using the ProcessInstance.Update() method in your code before you are executing the action. The Update() method is redundant if you are executing an action as the action will save any data field values automatically. I've seen that if you call the ProcessInstance.Update() method the worklist item is not accessible for a brief period and that period might be when your code is trying to execute the action. If this is the case, remove the ProcessInstance.Update() method and rely only on the Execute() method of the action to save your data and complete the worklist item.

I hope this helped narrow down the problem. Report back to this thread if you have more information or managed to solve the problem.

Regards,

Badge +2

Hi Johan

Thanks for your response.

I assigned permissions to activity actions for each user and it seemed to do the trick.

Rgds

Lena

Badge +2

HI

I have noticed something very strange happening with the Actions.

I am logged in as an administrator into the vpc and have created a role with 1 user 'UserA'. I 'run as' IE and open UserA's work list. From the worklist UserA selects a task and there are 3 actions available (I can see this buy clicking on the Actions link in the Worklist Webpart):

Submi, Update, MoreInformation

UserA then opens a worklist item and clicks on 'More Information' button which results in error saying Action not found.  UserA closes the worklist item, and reopens it again but this time clicks on Submit button and the task is correctly completed.

When I check in Workspace management, the role to which UserA belongs has access to all of the actions.

I then went back to Roles in workspace and added the Administrator so that now there are 2 users in the Role: Administrator and UserA. I repeat the scenario above and this time when the UserA clicks on  MoreInformation, the worklist item is correctly completed.

Can somebody please explain to me what is going on?

Thank you

Lena

Badge +10

I wonder if its because you're doing a runas in the VPC.  I've noticed on mine that the browser keeps the authentication of the user when doing the runas but if I open the worklist item which opens up a new window typically it'll lose the runas context and switch back to the logged on user's credentials.

Try logging off and logging in as UserA, or creating a terminal server session for UserA, and then try testing again.