Issues with installing a trial version

• 28 January 2005
  • 1 reply

Badge
I installed a trial version of the K2 software on my pc, which is running XP Pro SP2. I have SQL Server running locally and access to a SharePoint server on our network.

I set the databases to log in with a SQL authenticated account and set the K2.net service to start up with an account that has Administrator rights on the pc. The installation finished and the service successfully started automatically after I rebooted the machine.

The first issue is when I start up the K2.net Service Manager. The first time I started it, my local K2.net server wasn't listed, so I tried to add it. I tried to connect using the same user account that the service is running under, but when I try to do anything with it, I get an error stating "Authentication with server failed." I tried it both by using the default selection and by specifying the user account. The only way I am able to finally see the full manager is to use external authentication and the anonymous option selected.

The second issue is with the walkthrough. I follow every step until I get to the point of submitting the InfoPath form, when I get another authentication error similar to others I've seen posted. I tried to apply all of the fixes mentioned, but nothing has worked. I also tried to do a version of the walkthrough without involving SharePoint, ie all the files stored locally. I get the same authentication error.

Any help is definitely appreciated.

1 reply

Badge +2
These issues sound like access control/permission issues.

K2.net 2003 Service Pack 1a was released prior to the general release of XP Service Pack 2, and is not supported under XP SP2 at present.

We are busy evaluating both XP SP2 and Windows 2003 Server SP1 to ascertain whether there are any issues and what the solutions are.

Both XP SP2 and W2k3 SP1 add signifiant security enhacements/restrictions to the operating system. Because the default setting under these SPs is 'everything closed' there may be some issues with the intercommunication between K2.net components.

Until we have thoroughly tested K2.net under both the abovementioned SPs and released our findings, I would suggest creating a VPC with XP Pro/ W2k3 without these SPs.