Separate notification to initiator if they are also the approver

• 11 October 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

I'm still pretty new to Nintex forms and workflow, but I'm managing to muddle my way through ok.  I'm stuck on something though.  We have an access request form that any user can submit for approval.  This means that our approvers can submit them also.  I'd like to have one notification of submission go to the initiator if they aren't an approver, and another (different) if the initiator IS the approver.  I cannot for the life of me get this to work.  I tried setting a condition where "created by" did not equal "authorized signer" (neither received a notification), but that didn't work.  I've searched and searched for a similar question, but I couldn't find anything that's worked.  Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction on this one?  I feel like this should be fairly easy, but I'm embarrassingly stumped.

Thanks so much!

7 replies

Badge +11

Hi ,

I'm using similar action in my workflow using Set a condition action. See below:

Both Approver and Decider are people picker fields. If this condition is true, send one notification. If false, then send individual notifications. Hope this helps.

Badge +2

Hi ‌,

That's exactly what I've tried and it's still not working.  No notification goes at all. I've tried the following: Created by = Authorized Signer; Initiator = Authorized signer; App Created By = Authorized signer.  Neither of the notifications go at all, but all of the subsequent actions work just fine.  I've even changed the condition to "If current item field equals value"  where Authorized signer = Initiator.  I'm SO confused as to what I'm doing wrong.

Badge +11

Please paste the screen shot of your workflow and configuration part. Is Authorized signer a people picker? Log the Authorized signer and Created By to the history list and see the values for both of them. they should be with the claims token if you are on SP2013.

Badge +2

This piece of my State Machine is where I'm having trouble.  After working more with it yesterday, the "No" branch activates every time, no matter the Authorized Signer or Created By entities (neither is a people picker field).  Authorized Signer is a value from a different list used in the form.  

progress.gif

193113_pastedImage_1.png

Setting the condition up this way at least got that branch working at all:

193121_pastedImage_3.png

I tried setting it up as a value = value also (like in your example), with no green light.  I can't figure out how to get the "Yes" branch working.

Badge +11

Did you try writing the values of Created By and Authorized signer to workflow history? to check if they are same or not.

Badge +5

I think like Kapil Joshi already said you need to verify if the two values you try to compare are  really equal or not. The created by field is always a people picker field in SharePoint. Which means it contains something like "DOMAINuser" or in SharePoint 2013 even worse something like this "i:0#.w|DOMAINuser". The other field is a lookup from another list, but if it has a type of single text for example your condition would look like this although it seems that you are compairing two identical things:

i:0#.w|DOMAINsabrinaervin = "Sabrina Ervin" --> FALSE

Badge +2

Good morning!  ‌ pointed me in exactly the right direction.  I switched to "Initiator Display Name" = Authorized Signer and everything worked as designed.  Thank you so much (you too ‌)!  Every day is a learning experience happy.png