email Event not working

Badge +9

Hi Guys,

I got stuck again in the email event notification. I checked the Mail Server configuration in workspace and also entered the SMTP Server directly and did test connection successfully. However, I am not receiving any emails. When I look at the workflow view , email event seems to have completed successfully. Please advice. Thanks.

16118iBDA0245679213A16.jpg

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Did you check the Junk folder or the Clutter Folder in your Outlook?

Badge +15

Hi,

Is there any errors in your HostServer logs?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi, 

You might also want to check on the following:-

1. Are there any messages stuck in msmq?
  2. Any error messages found in the eventbus.clientrecordererror table in the K2 DB?
  3. Are your connection strings correct? You may check this from ConnectionStringEditor.exe.
Userlevel 1
Badge +8

All good suggestions so far, I wanted to take a moment an refresh everyone on the mail flow for this particular scenario. The question being asked is in regard to the Mail Event which you can find in the toolbox of the thick client designers or on the ribbon in the web based design tool.

The Mail Event is pretty straight forward with how mail is sent. Unlike the Task Notifications that are sent as part of client event, the Mail Event is essentially just the .NET SMTP libraries making a connection to a mail sever and sending the email.

With the task notifications, there is a queueing mechanism and EWS can become involved which is where troubleshooting steps like Kimberly suggested come into play, but aren't applicable to this scenario.

If the Mail Event isn't exceptioning, that means the connection was made and that email message attempted to be sent. If the mail isn't sending then there has to be an issue on the mail server side of the configuration due to the simplistic nature of what is happpening on the K2 side.

It could be things like:

• Wrong from address
  • Spam Filtering on the Mail Server
  • Spam Filtering on the Client Computer
  • Outlook's new Clutter folder

Being that it is O365, I would ensure that their isn't any spam filtering happening on the server side.

Also, which I don't think it is the case since it is seldom used, I would check to ensure that exception handling isn't enabled on the mail event or acitvity in which the event resides (default settings) as that would cause K2 to eat any exceptions and not bubble those up.

Assuming that the mail server and from address are correct, I would simply trace the mail flow to find where the break down is occuring.

Hope this helps.

S.

Badge +9

Thank you all of you.

We could able to send email notification now after SMTP setup. When I enter the email directly into the TO field, it works however if I use context browser to select the user in K2, it does not work. user in K2 is pulled from AD and email is provided in the AD user account. Do we need some extra configuration if TO email is pulled from the K2 user (AD). Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi,

When you say you are pulling the user from the context browers can you provide some screen shots how you are accomplishing this? The only user that is available in the context browser is Origininator and ActivityDestinationInstanceUser. The first one is always populated. The Activity Destination Instance is only populated based on the Destiation Rule Settings.

16814i25C8E897752419E2.png