Wait for REST call

• 16 March 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

I am digging into the Workflow Cloud to see how can we use it as the workflow as a service for a custom application hosted in the cloud, I know we can start the workflow by calling the REST API, but how can I get the workflow wait or pause until another call came in? This feature exist in other products, but I want to see how to accomplish it by Nintex.

Is it my a sub-workflow like the utility workflows? or is there something else?

I need something like wait for a task to be completed, and I want to complete the task remotely. And I don't want to put a Call REST action in a loop and execute it every few minutes to check.

4 replies

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

When you make an API call (external start) you start an instance of the related workflow. When you do a second API call, you start another workflow instance. These two instances are completely independent of each other. If you want dependencies between workflow instances, you have to do something with a shared source, like a database. NWC support Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL.

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +5

Yes, exactly, but I have a workflow started already, and I want to pause my workflow for another action to happen outside the workflow and not part of the available connectors, how can I do that without breaking my workflow into small workflows?

Badge

Thanks Rick, great info.

Here is a little bit more to chew on with this scenario.  We are developing an  application that we want to leverage a workflow as a service.  When a person completes a specific activity in the application we want to notify the workflow that the user has completed that so that it can be tracked and then move on to the next step as appropriate.

We could either make these notifications directly from the application to the workfow which would be the preference in most scenarios.  The other option as you mentioned is to build out logic on both sides using SQL Server as the task intermdiary.  I have to imagine that if this functionality is not already built it is at least planned so I want to make sure our design is at least marching in the same direction as the NWC team.

Badge +4

We have a pause/wait action on our roadmap, so please keep an eye out for that in a future release!