Few basic site workflow questions

Badge +8

Hello

Still learning how to create and manage workflows and I have a few questions. I figured it would be easier to post them all on here. I haven't had much luck finding answers to my specific questions.

1) I run a site workflow every night and sometimes I check in the morning and it has errored out. Seems to be working (according to my end results) but it's a big report so I can't tell by eyeballing if it has missed anything. Should I be using a loop action to prevent this?

2)  As these workflows are erroring out, they are still showing in "My Running Workflows". Should I be ending these?

Thanks, as always, for your help.

3 replies

Badge +8

I should specify...

1) I run a site workflow every night and sometimes I check in the morning and it has errored out. Seems to be working (according to my end results) but it's a big report so I can't tell by eyeballing if it has missed anything. Should I be using a loop action to prevent this?

These workflows are ending unexpectedly, not erroring out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello Josh Shutts​ -

1. You can use a loop when you want to check for errors and then try again (loop) if there is an error. It depends on how you have your error handling setup and may require a bit of testing, but we do something similar where we check a variable and if it not the default value, pause for 5 minutes and try again. We do this around web service calls in case we cannot connect. Check out Web Service call fail and retry

2. You would want to terminate the workflow if it ends unexpectedly so it is not considered still running. You can restart the workflow, but it will trigger from the beginning.

Hope this helps!

Badge +8

Very helpful. Thanks Jesse!