Database permissions on Nintex content and configuration database

• 2 August 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I recently installed Nintex and today I started experimenting with NWAdmin.exe. When running nwadmin.exe -o PurgeFlowData -state .... I got the response: Failed to open a connection to a Nintex Workflow content database. This is correct, because after installation only the account which runs the SharePoint web application pool has permissions on the database (the wss_Content_Application_Pools database role).

I do not manage our SQL environment and have to request permissions on the Nintex content databases. However, what should they be? And should there be additional permissions for the configuration database? We aim to have no more permissions than required. I could not find any documentation about this and any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

You should use nwadmin with the farm admin account

Badge +2

Hi Fernando, thanks for taking the time to respond.  I am a farm administrator, but I do not have any SQL-permissions on the database, so I get an error.  However, if I run the command with the farm installation account, the command runs fine. This makes sense, since this account is the owner of the database.

But, I do not want to run commands usingthe farm installation account. We limit the use of this account for interactive logon as much as possible. Any thoughts about the permissions I can give on the database directly or via another method? It is a possible to give the farm administrators (including me) the dbowner role, but perhaps this provides more permissions than required.

Badge +2

In the end, I gave the AD-group which contains the farm administrators the dbowner role on the Nintex Workflow and Nintex Forms configuration databases and the Nintex content databases. This works fine.