Workflow fails when check out option is enabled on library

• 2 February 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +9

I have a library that has Check out enabled so that when the user works on the document it forces them to check out the document. This ensures that other users do not make changes to the document. However the issue that I am running into is that my workflow keeps failing with the following error:

172798_pastedImage_2.png

I have added commit pending changes to see if that would prevent the workflow from failing but that is not the case.

As soon as the user checks in the document I have a commit pending changes added.

172814_pastedImage_3.png

Next comes the action of a string being built and then saved in a column. The workflow stops after that.

172796_pastedImage_0.png

5 replies

Badge +11

Hi Rency Gonzalez,

If you have check-in/check-out enabled on the library, to update the document properties, you have to check out the document within your workflow.

Before using Set Field value, use Check-out document action, Commit pending changes,  then set the value, then Check-in document action, then commit pending changes. May be you dont need so many Commits but it is to make sure that document is checked out when you edit the properties.

Hope it helps.

Badge +9

Hi Kapil

Thank you so much for your help the check out and check in worked however it is now failing at an update action.  I tried adding check out and check in action before and after the update action but it didn't work. Could you help?

173181_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +11

Hi,

Waiting for Update action is an input by the user. You do not need Check-out/Check-in actions for this in the workflow. User is going to perform those operations when updating the document properties.

Is there any error message?

Badge +9

The workflow cancels at the wait for an update action. The following is the error:

173182_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +9

Hi Kapil

My workflow keeps cancelling not sure why. The error message is so generic and doesn't give me details. When I published my workflow and then checked in my item into the library the workflow completed from beginning to end however when I checked in a second word document into my library it failed. Not sure what is going on .