Update List Item Value - List Name Issue

• 11 January 2018
  • 9 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

I am working on a simple WF that uses the "Set Value" option to update a single-text column in the item on modification.  I have been receiving the nagging error of "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information" and haven't been able to figure it out for weeks.

I re-created the list from scratch and this time only changed the list name from "ABC - Aaa Bbbb Ccc" to "ABC".  Does the list name or even internal name have any bearing on Nintex WF's?  It would seem so in my test case but wanted to see if anyone could provide context.  Thank you!

9 replies

Badge +8

Can you provide a screenshot of your action details? That will help to troubleshoot.

Badge +3

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately I can't due to the environment.  However, my explanation above is literally it.  There is only 1 action in the WF; the set value action that sets a single text column's value to "hello" on item modified.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

You never stated if recreated the list with a different name actually allowed the workflow to work. 

Is that the case? 

I have never heard of this happening before as far as I'm aware. 

If I were you, I'd make sure that the permissions on the original List (or the target List Item) are setup to allow the account executing the Workflow to actually modify the item. I do believe that I have ran into a similar mysterious error due to permissions issues like that. 

Badge +3

You're right ‌!!  It did work btw. I changed the internal name to not have any spaces or - and it worked fine!  I was able to change the display name after to include both and it still works.  This leads me to believe that there may be an issue with the internal names but haven't tested it yet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

1. can you try to use update item action in place of set field value one? (note to remove set field value action from workflow!)

try  it on both both workflows/lists.

I have experienced several cases when set field action failed with no apparent reasons. update item action worked for the same scenario.

2. I have seen this type of errors to happen indirectly.

I mean, you update fieldX, but problems on fieldY (not being updated/touched!) cause update to fail. problem on fieldY might be caused by a field or list validation, calculation formula, field mandatory-ness, field uniqueness etc.

so consider as well what might be going on further on the item/list when update fails.

Badge +3

I take it all back... Tried it again yesterday on a fresh list and it didn't work. Extremely frustrating.

Badge +3

Thanks for the reply Marian!

1. I've done this before and used all 3 update options and non worked.

2. I thought the same but haven't found anything and even stripped the list (re create) to bare-bones and now it doesn't work after it did.  So strange.

I'll take any other suggestions! haha!

Badge +3

Update: It ended up being a conflict between a custom column (auto increment) and kwizcom forms. (the version(s) we are running).  This took quite a long time to track down but thank you all for your help and input!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi ‌,

Please be sure to mark your solution as the "correct answer" so that this issue closes.

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick Kelligan