Create a \Daily Summary\" Notification for Expiring Documents"

Badge +7

Hi All,

Apologies for this rather amateur question.

I have a SP site with a number of content types, each of these have their own retention policy (eg. 3 years, 5 years).

Before items get deleted, I want to give the site admins a 7 day warning that a document is going to be deleted. However, the users don't want a flood of emails and have asked for a "daily summary" notification not unlike the way Alerts work in SP that allow for a daily summary of changes in a library.

Could someone give me a hand explaining the required components I would need to generate this daily "expiring" items notification? How do I build the "list" of items that would get added to the email notification?

thanks

7 replies

Badge +16

Hi

Please see this blog post that will get you started with querying your list and storing the output into a collection of items:

Site Workflow - Document Review Date Approaching Reminders

this one sends an email per item.

instead of send email inside the for each, you could build a string and add the details of each item to a multiple lines of text variable and finally output that in one email.

Badge +7

Thanks Cassy!

Perhaps the rest of my workflow is wrong as well but I seem stuck on the notification part. I have a query list function saving metadata information correctly for multiple items in the list (I know this because testing the query returns multiple results). However, when I try to add this same variable to my email notification, the notification only lists the first item's worth of metadata. I'll take a look at the example you provided and see if I'm missing something.

thanks!

Badge +16

how are you getting on?  when you are testing it is helpful to use log in history list to see what is happening at each point.  let me know if I can help further.

Badge +7

Thanks for checking in!

I did get it to work, with some help!

I'd be happy to post the solution we used. What is the best way to do this?

Badge +16

Excellent news!  well you could screenshot your solution here to complete the thread, or attach the workflow.  or even better, you could blog about the problem and solution and link to it here.  happy.png

Badge +7

Ok I've made a note to do this as soon as I can!

Badge +7

Here's what we ended up landing on.

This may not be detailed enough for others to make sense of.

The goal was to have a daily summary go to users (identified in the SiteModerators list). The workflow matches "expiring" documents, matches those against the moderator, and then generates an email that spits out all their expiring docs in one email, rather than what was much easier to do, which would be one email for each expiring document.

Snap 2016-08-11 at 09.13.40.png