Can I insert a multi text field into a Word Template?

• 30 October 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

I have a SharePoint list which is being used to create a template document. All fields are working fine except for my multi - line text field. While the correct text is inserted, the document treats it as single line of text - and therefore won't save because it thinks there is a validation problem (because there is more than 255 characters).

Can anyone help me with a work around?

Thanks.

4 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

Is your Sharepoint List column defined as plain text or rich/enhanced text? If not plain text, try changing it to Plain text. I assume you are updating the document via Content Controls and using the workflow Update document action? Are you processing this column through a variable? If so make sure that the variable is also set as a multi-line.

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +4

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

The ordinal field is a multi line text field in Plain Text.

Using a workflow, it updates a column in a content type .

The field in the Content Type and doesn't give me the choice of plain or rich/enhanced text - as shown below.

135713_pastedImage_0.png

The SharePoint library is fine with the multi line field. The problem only occurs when I insert it as a quick part into the template document.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Lexie

Badge +6

Hi,

Mmmhh, the quick part you mention rings a bell for me. I believe I changed from using quick parts to using content controls because of issues with the quick parts not behaving, but I can't quite recall exactly what the issue was.

Doing a quick google - this seems very applicable to your issue:

Sharepoint fields and Word Content Control limitation?

You may need to change that setting to "allow unlimited length in document libraries" to be a yes.

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +4

You're ace happy.png

Changing that setting has fixed. I'll just cross my fingers now that it doesn't upset anything else.

Thanks a lot for your help. Lexie