Solved

Universal Forms for On Prem

Badge +7

It's been a while since I've seen any news regarding universal forms coming to On Prem. Any updates?

https://poszytek.eu/en/nintex-en/whats-coming-up-for-nintex-in-2018/

T.

icon

Best answer by eharris04 26 March 2019, 01:13

View original

22 replies

Badge +17

This is still on the roadmap and a beta program will be starting up in the community soon. We will have more information and details on when it will be available. On-prem is a ways out as the forms product is pretty robust there. 

Badge +3

Hi, we had feedback from the world tour in London a couple of weeks back that Universal Forms was being released this month (Apr 2019) sometime. Is that not the case?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @nigelhertz,

We were planning on kicking off our Advance Preview of Universal Forms for Office365 in April but due to the Easter break, we have delayed to early May.

This will only be for customers who have raised interest in an early preview and only in Office365.

Once we complete Universal Forms for Office 365, we will continue development for Universal Forms for SharePoint. Both 365 and SharePoint will use the same core Universal Forms engine, however, SharePoint has slightly different integration points and some extra controls to be built.

If you are interested in participating in the Advance Preview of Universal Forms for Office365, please register your interest at the form here.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +3

Hi @EuanGamble 

Thanks for the reply and clarification. That will certainly disappoint a few of our customers, but such is life 🙂  

The company I work for is a Nintex Partner, so registration etc is already sorted; I appreciate you adding the link though.

Nigel

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @nigelhertz,

Currently the preview is limited to my tenant but next month we are expecting to enable Universal Forms on any tenant. This will have most functionality in the existing Responsive Forms but not absolutely everything. We are also working on product conversion as well.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +3

Sharepoint 2019 release has made it more tricky to implement some of the the features and on premise 2019 could really do with universal forms as we are stuck on whether to use classic or responsive forms. Responsive forms do not take javascript and classic form looks very old and redundant. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @coolpb,

Hear you loud and clear. We are still planning to bring Universal Forms to on-prem - we just need to finish Universal Forms for Office365 first.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +3
Thanks, looking forward to it any timeline you can give us?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @coolpb ,

I can tell you that the same codebase will be used in SharePoint from Office365. But, there is additional controls that need to be added to the codebase which we have not estimated yet.

We will provide more detail in the community when we have more to share.

Cheers,
Euan

Badge +3

Hi,

Is there any update on the availability of universal forms for SP2016 on prem?

Thanks
Ben

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @tachi ,

Still in development. We dont have a release date as yet.

New responsive (Universal Forms) for Office365 is due to be released very soon.

Cheers,

Euan

Hi Euan, can you help me understand how the eventual introduction of Universal Forms for on prem will impact existing forms created in Classic? I am trying to locate documentation or a roadmap that will spell out the plan for ongoing Classic forms support. We've recently implemented Nintex and are trying to understand whether we should be avoiding creating Classic forms  but specific detail has been hard to locate.

Thanks,

Scott.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Poisco,

We are continuing to support Classic forms and has no end-of-support at this stage. We are still really interested to know what people would use Classic for over the New Responsive Designer.

However, as the New Responsive Designer is the same engine across Nintex Workflow Cloud, Office365, Nintex Mobile and soon SharePoint; it is far more efficient for us to bring new functionality to the new designer only.

So, my question is, what functionality would you like to see appear in the New Responsive Designer from Classic?

Cheers,

Euan

Thanks very much for the info on Classic forms future support. We've only just begun using the product but so far we've been directed to use Classic forms if utilizing Nintex Live and have also found Classic is necesary for customization (e.g custom button functionality) using javascript.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Poisco,

Yes, if you are requiring Nintex Live, you will still need to use Classic.

Regarding your button functionality, what could we add to our product so you didnt require JavaScript?

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +16

@EuanGamble - Hey!  Hope you're well...

Am I correct in thinking that when Universal forms come to on-prem the migration to a newer on-prem version or O365 will be seemless?  Sharegate suggests they don't support migration of Responsive forms and I am trying to work out what to offer users who currently use InfoPath without creating any (more) technical debt before we migrate platforms.

https://support-desktop.sharegate.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000641648-Copy-Nintex-Forms 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @cassymfreeman,

So at the moment we are currently working on bringing New Responsive (Universal Forms) to on-prem and is progressing well. Along with this, we are looking at an in-product conversion from the Old Responsive to New Responsive so customers can choose when to convert each form.

Further to this, since it is the same engine, we will be supporting the ability to export a New Responsive form from SharePoint to Office365.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +16

@EuanGamble thanks for that.  And the export/import would also be supported from say SP2013 to SP2019?  Obviously you can't speak for Sharegate and whether they would support but at least I will understand Migration options.  I know at the world tour Cosima showed the "convert" button so pleased to see that is coming along with it too.  I know people have asked and you said it's hard to say, but are we talking 6 months / 12 months / 18 months here?

We have talked previously about my want to only allow business users responsive and not classic and I am trying to implement this now, but want to do so without having a major headache to deal with in the future for migrations.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @cassymfreeman,

Bit more information for you.

And the export/import would also be supported from say SP2013 to SP2019? 

So, Nintex supports the upgrade of our products from 2013 to 2016. With the New Responsive, you could also export/import from 2013 to 2016 using New Responsive as it will use the same engine.

I know people have asked and you said it's hard to say, but are we talking 6 months / 12 months / 18 months here?
So far we have the engine working in SharePoint, looking at the different APIs between SharePoint and Office365. Then building any unique features only SharePoint has. We are hoping to have a preview of Nintex New Responsive for SharePoint in a couple of months.

We have talked previously about my want to only allow business users responsive and not classic and I am trying to implement this now, but want to do so without having a major headache to deal with in the future for migrations.

We will continue to support the restriction in CA regarding turning off a particular designer, but this will not include permission/group level access to the designer at this point.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +1

Any updates when the on prem is coming?

Badge +1
I'm also very interested:
Any updates when the on prem is coming?

Hiya,

I see this thread was started in March 2019.  It's now late Q4 2021. 

Has Universal forms been dropped for on-prem?

It feels wrong to be building Classic forms going into 2022 just because there are some business requirements that require some minor JavaScript.