Removing blank area(s) due to hidden fields

Badge +8

Hello again

So I have created a form that has hidden fields in the middle of my form. These fields are hidden based off of specific selections from other fields. My problem is, I have fields after these hidden fields. So when these fields are hidden, I have a lot of blank space between the viewable fields. Any way to remove this empty space when fields are hidden? sorry I said hidden so much. Cassy FreemanEmily BillingPhilipp Lucas

Thanks!

11 replies

Badge +8

Good Morning Josh Shutts​ – What you'll want to do is place these conditionally hidden fields within a panel and use rules to show/hide the panel according to your needs as opposed to doing so with the individual fields.

As long as your form controls aren't overlapping the panel and are fully contained within it, the panel will both be hidden and not occupy any blank space.

Good luck!

Badge +8

Hi Patrick

Thanks for the response. I do have a panel around all of these "hidden" fields. And I reformatted so nothing is over-lapping. Still getting the empty space.

Badge +8

Is it the panel you're hiding or the fields themselves?

Badge +8

The fields inside the panel. I have a field above these fields that is a pass or fail. The fields stay hidden when the pass is selected and populated when the fail is selected.

Badge +8

Here's a quick example using Office 365. I've got a panel that's fairly large with the attachments control within it. I've set the panel to not be visible and you can see the additional blank space isn't being occupied.

Form Designer:

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 9.25.54 AM.png

Form in use:

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 9.27.01 AM.png

Badge +8

Hey Patrick

I am on SP 2013. This is what I have.

184010_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +8

I've done this with O365 and SP2013 so I don't think that's the culprit. Here's a few things you might try:

• Moving your label fields one grid mark to the right to see if the issue has to do with them overlapping your container.
  • Create a new panel and re-locate the fields there
  • Ensure the panel is behind all the fields with the "send to back" action and when you select your panel all your fields are also selected.

I just altered my test form and am able to see the space disappear when I toggle a Yes/No boolean.

Showing the panel:

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 9.37.22 AM.png

Hiding the panel:

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 9.37.32 AM.png

This might also be of some use to you: https://ootbtutorials.com/2016/03/26/nintex-forms-hidden-fields-empty-areas/

Badge +16

are you hiding the labels also?

Badge +8

Yep, hiding labels and fields.

Badge +8

After multiple attempts, I was able to resolve this by creating a new Panel, moving all my control fields to the new panel, deleting the old panel and re-connecting the fields to the new panel. Thanks to all that helped!! Cassy Freeman

Badge +8

Happy to help Josh Shutts!