jeff
Apprentice

Unexpected Action Sequence in Failed Workflow

SharePoint 2016 workflow that runs when a list item changes. The workflow runs at 3 pm and generates an error notification that I receive by email. I can't get to it right away; a couple hours later I go to investigate. Reading the workflow actions in the "Workflow Details" page (_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/WorkflowLog.aspx). Skimming the log I see that actions run all the way until the workflow terminates as it would normally. On closer inspection I'm seeing something I think is really odd.

The log reads from bottom to top for whatever reason. Starting at the bottom I see the workflow start at 3:01 pm and it runs all the way through. Then at 4:15 pm it starts running again until it terminates.

In this first screen shot you can see where the workflow ends at 3:01 pm then resumes with action "Status Update Dev" at 4:15 pm. This "Status Update Dev" action, and all subsequent actions already ran back at 3:01 pm! It's as if at 4:15 pm the workflow restarts from the "Status Update Dev" action and runs all the way through a second time.

frame2.jpg

The screen shot below shows the very start of the workflow and then the actions that are later repeated at 4:15 pm.

frame1.jpg

With the exception of a few initial actions, the workflow runs all the way through at 3 pm, and then runs nearly all the way through at 4:15 pm.

Checking the item's version history, the item hasn't changed since 3 pm. There was no modification at 4:15 pm or anything that caused the workflow to repeat or resume.

Any ideas as to what might be going on here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SimonMuntz
Nintex How-To Center Expert

Re: Unexpected Action Sequence in Failed Workflow

Hi,

Does the workflow use a state machine?
Are you able to provide an export or screen shot of the workflow design?
0 Kudos
jeff
Apprentice

I don't believe it's a state machine. The workflow runs continuously until it's done, there aren't any pauses or waiting for other actions.
I'm trying to print it now to ARCH E page size but it keeps printing out as like 16 pages. Fussing around with it in different browsers. May have to print it out, pull it into photoshop and piece it all together.
0 Kudos
jeff
Apprentice

I got it down to 2 pages by minimizing all the items under the switch. Those items were relabeled to keep my security department happy. Let me know if additional detail is required.

0 Kudos
SimonMuntz

Remove the end workflow action at the end of the workflow.
The workflow already goes to the end so no need to have it.
0 Kudos
jeff
Apprentice

Thanks, will do. Could that cause this problem? Any idea what's happening here?
0 Kudos
SimonMuntz

It should not cause an issue but I have seen it cause an issue when used with a State Machine workflow which is not the case here and is why I asked the question initially.
Remove the uneeded action and let the workflow complete by going to the end and see if that resolves the issue.
0 Kudos
jeff
Apprentice

Great, thanks. It's been removed. This repetition is really a one-off, nothing I can recreate. Never seen it before (but never really looked for it before) when troubleshooting issues. I'll be looking for it now.

0 Kudos
jeff
Apprentice

So I removed that "End Workflow" action and started getting a half-dozen workflow errors a day. Put the action back in yesterday afternoon and the errors stopped. So even though it's not necessary I'm going to leave it in place for now.
0 Kudos
jeff
Apprentice

Tracking down another error this morning and seeing something very similar. Reading bottom to top:

• Workflow kicks off at 12:37 pm
  • Note two action sets kick off at 12:37 pm but complete at 2:15 pm (highlighted)
  • 1:03 pm workflow error message - failed to start
  • 1:16 pm The last 6 items to run at 12:37 pm and are repeated (highlighted)
  • 1:31 pm workflow error message - failed to start
  • 2:15 pm The last 6 items to run at 12:37 pm and 1:16 pm are repeated again (highlighted)
  • Workflow finally completes at 2:15 pm

2020-03-24_9-51-46.png

0 Kudos