Parent workflow Failed to start Child workflow

• 3 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have a big workflow with 3 child workflows. The parent workflow kick start the child workflow. The workflows (parent and child) are failing randomly at different locations for different items.

1. Failed to start one of the Child Workflow – Error Details- Failed to start workflow. Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
  2. Failed to update list item of ‘multiline text’ type – Error Details- The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information. Access Denied.
  3. One step before completion (on “Commit Pending Changes”) – Error Details -  An error has occurred in Jet-Onboarding.

I have checked all the permissions and tried different approaches to overcome the errors.

a. replacing "Set Field Value" with "Update item" 

b. using "Commit Pending Changes" after every update

c. using pause in Child workflow

Any suggestion would be greately appreciated. TI  

6 replies

Badge +12

@radhika914 ....

1. How you're starting the workflow? Based on the error message it seems the initiator of the workflow don't have proper permission. Is the workflow which is starting the child workflow are in the same list?
  2. Data type of the values which you're using to update SharePoint columns are not matching. Please make sure they are of the same data type. For e.g. string data type trying to update number or decimal field, etc.

Badge +1

Thank you @kunalpatel for the reply.

1. my Parent workflow starts child workflow automatically. Once the parent workflow reaches at a certain point in workflow, I am starting a child workflow. Yes, both parent and child workflow are on the same list. Server restart did not resolve this issue though.

2. not sure why workflow was not updating a multiline column. After restarting the server, it started updating the column.

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Do the ULS logs give you any indication of what the issue may be?
Badge +12

@radhika914 ....

1. Can you run your workflows as the workflow owners? 
  2. What type of MLT column you're having and what kind of information your variable is holding? Based on the error message, it's clear that variable is trying to update MLT column which is not being supported by your MLT column. For e.g. your variable has rich text or HTML 
Badge +1
Thank you @SimonMuntz for your reply. Yes, I tried to dig into the ULS log, I couldn't find anything specific
Badge +1
@kunalpatel -
I have site collection admin, when I create an item and start the workflow it is going through without any problem. Please who would be using this workflow, they will only have contribute permission to create an item in the list. There are few items created by end user and completed successfully. As I mentioned it is random.
The column is basic multiline text type. workflow is adding/updating the column with the audit log (after every approval).