Workflow to assign users a task in set order (different user per item)

• 1 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +8

Hello All,

I have been trying to figure out a workflow that will assign newly added list entries to one of five individuals.

The list is a project tracking log and tasks are to be assigned automatically; items are dropped into the list from a spreadsheet.

The issue I have run into is that they should not be assigned randomly (I was able to use the random number UDA) but  should be assigned as to where each person gets a "chance."

Example,

Day 1: ten files are dropped onto the list. each person should get two

Day Two: day 4 files are dropped. the first four people on the list should get one (People 1,2,3,4)

Day Three: four files are dropped: person 5, 1, 2, 3 should be assigned the files.

Ultimately, each person shoulf have close to the same amount of tasks at any given time.

I came up with a list workflow that will query the list for the highest item ID  and latest assigned date that has been assigned, look at that  assigned person's name; if the person last assigned is "person 4" then assign the new file to "person 5." But I forsee alot of issues with them when multiple files are being dropped at once, they will all pull that same "highest ID" and last person and all assign to the next person in line.

My assumption is I would need a site workflow to do this more effectively, but honestly, I do not know where to start or what to use to make the site workflow start. I don't want to have each item on the list attemptng to start the same site workflow nor is it possible to have it set as a schedculed workflow.

Any help would be appreciated

1 reply

Badge +8

Now I need to figure out how to get the workflow to assign items in an organized fashion...

@Nates_Mom wrote:

Hello All,

I have been trying to figure out a workflow that will assign newly added list entries to one of five individuals.

The list is a project tracking log and tasks are to be assigned automatically; items are dropped into the list from a spreadsheet.

The issue I have run into is that they should not be assigned randomly (I was able to use the random number UDA) but  should be assigned as to where each person gets a "chance."

Example,

Day 1: ten files are dropped onto the list. each person should get two

Day Two: day 4 files are dropped. the first four people on the list should get one (People 1,2,3,4)

Day Three: four files are dropped: person 5, 1, 2, 3 should be assigned the files.

Ultimately, each person shoulf have close to the same amount of tasks at any given time.

I came up with a list workflow that will query the list for the highest item ID  and latest assigned date that has been assigned, look at that  assigned person's name; if the person last assigned is "person 4" then assign the new file to "person 5." But I forsee alot of issues with them when multiple files are being dropped at once, they will all pull that same "highest ID" and last person and all assign to the next person in line.

My assumption is I would need a site workflow to do this more effectively, but honestly, I do not know where to start or what to use to make the site workflow start. I don't want to have each item on the list attemptng to start the same site workflow nor is it possible to have it set as a schedculed workflow.

Any help would be appreciated

Update:

I was able to create a Site Workflow that queries the list and counts the number of items that are not yet assigned. I added a "Start Site Workflow" web part to the bottom of the list page.