Terminate workflows with long idle times?

• 23 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

I recently inherited an existing environment (SP 2010) using Nintex. When I browse the logs, I am seeing entries with the following values:

Start Time: 4/10/2013 9:09 AM   Last Action: 4/10/2013 9:12 AM   Duration: 1651 days   Idle Time: 1651 days

I am assuming this workflow is no longer active nor is it doing anything useful. How does one terminate/kill this and other workflows similar to this? Of course not knowing the details of the workflow, any default fallout for terminating a workflow after so long?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

You can always manually open the running workflow instance and kill the instance by hitting end workflow:

210005_pastedImage_1.png

In general I wouldn't terminate workflows just because they hit a specific idle time but you can use the know your workflow script (Know Your Workflow) or Nintex Hawkeye to find idling workflows and find a reason for it on a workflow by workflow basis.

Would that be helpful?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +2

Enrico,

The "Know your workflow" is exactly what I am missing. As stated in the initial post, I inherited this and this is my first exposure to Nintex. I will take a look and reply. 

Thanks for the reply.

Bob

Badge +2

Enrico,

When I dig into one of the workflows, I select "Terminate this workflow" and I receive a popup stating, "Object doesn't suppot propety or method 'createNode'" with only an OK option. I also noticed in the workflow information box for the Item: value it show Cannot find list item. 

I see this starting to "snow ball".

Bob

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

It seems there are some fragments of workflows for items that have been deleted. This can happen if users delete lists and items that still have running workflows without ending those workflows first.

What I would try first is to purge those workflow fragments. Purging can be done by heading for Central Administration -> Nintex Workflow Management -> Purge workflow data and hit query with leaving the selection to Where the list or library has been deleted.

If if found fragments hit Purge afterwards. If no fragments remain, the result should look like this:

Do you still see the same error afterwards?

Badge +2

Your screenshot references O-365? I am still running on SP 2010. But I am investigating your suggestion. Seems logical enough.

thanks!

Badge +2

I do not get any results for the query.

"The filter matched 0 workflow instances."

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Bob,

well in that case you might want to dig into purging data with nwadmin.exe which is working directly in the Nintex Database.
You find a good overview about the process here:  

However, you should absolutely know what you're doing when going through this. In doubt I'd consult a Nintex partner and do this together on site.

Best regards

Enrico