How to complete Flexi Task from list item form?

• 28 September 2016
  • 13 replies

Badge +9

Long story short I have to provide an option to complete the Flexi Task on a list item form the workflow is running. I was going to use the parallel branches and "Complete workflow task" action but it turns out it requires an ActionID which is not available in Flexi Task. So what are my options now? Thanks!

13 replies

Badge +11

I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to do.

Badge +9

The Problem: how to complete a Flexi Task using the "Complete Workflow Task" action (looks like it is not possible).

Details: I will put Approve/Reject option on a list item form for which there is an active Flexi Task. The right branch waits for a change in that field and then it Approves or Rejects the associated task. The user is not going to the task form to complete it but is going to a list item form to do it.

Badge +11

I've never had a user go to a list item to do it. I've always sent them the link to the form in an email to complete it.

Badge +9

And in 90% of situations this is the case for me too but in this example I have different requirements.

Badge +5

Are you trying to allow a user to complete a workflow task from a list item which trigger the workflow? 

I have tried the parallel branch with action ID approach and yes action ID does not equal to Task ID so it isn't going to achieve what you are trying to do assuming i understood you right. I am not sure if there is a neat and reliable out of the box way to achieve this.

However I have used custom approaches to achieve this using CSOM such as Javascriptand. 

Set a unique name for your workflow task title(eg list title + item id)  so you can query it and get the Task ID using javascript. Add task button to your Nintex form which is bound to your list. Associate it with javascript function to complete the workflow tasks. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

as Thomas suggests, configuring own task identifier and query the Task list for it is only possible way.

but I would say doing task list lookup in workflow would be much easier than in forms.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi ‌,

because in the flexi task you have just two branch (Approval/Reject), couldn't you use Require Approval instead of Flexi Task? In that way you could use Complete Task because you can save the ActionID.

Giacomo

Badge +11

I don't understand why you are using a switch. Why not use a Flexi task in its place?

Badge +9

Hi ‌  - Not sure if I understand this. Will that allow approving the task from the item form?

Badge +11

Ignore the comment I made about the Flexi task. I keep forgetting you are doing this in the form.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

let me  quote your explanation

I will put Approve/Reject option on a list item form for which there is an active Flexi Task. The right branch waits for a change in that field and then it Approves or Rejects the associated task.

so on the form you set some flag column in a list a you wait for a change in that flag column in the workflow.

what I wanted to say is that in the branch waiting for change, once/after the change happens you will query Workflow Task List for a task to be be closed by your own (unique) identifier first. By  that identifier you will determine actionID from task list which you will in turn use in Terminate workflow action

so that means just one additional action in the workflow.

Badge +9

I ended up using the "Request Data" action. This list was very helpful in deciding: . I was not able to use the "Request Approval" as it doesn't include escalation and reminders which I also need.

Badge +4

Can you please let me know what you have done in Request Data action in depth.