Bring data from a list into a repeating section and retain versioning

• 6 December 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +9

I'm trying to find a solution to the business case below and I heavily depend and trust the community members to come up with some great ideas to help with this..

Business Case: 

I need to have a data entry form where the users can insert some project reporting information on the current month report. The data is to be extracted into another list (raw data list) where this data can be reported on via some dashboards. 

The data entry information must be inserted on the form, preferably a repeating section for each category. I need to be able to modify and update the (raw data list) for the dashboard as well as be able to keep the versioning. 

I need to be able to retrieve the most recent information from the raw data list back into the repeating section and if possible have a way to show the previous versions via a link or any other way.

I can extract the info from the repeating section to the raw data list but how can I edit the repeating section and update the information back into the raw data list as well as do the versioning of each line item, is that even possible!  

I tried using list view control of a datasheet view on the form to update that raw data directly but the datasheet view is not supported in Nintex. The data entry on that form needs to be the easiest way possible. 

Ideas please! 

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have a look on this post -  

but I would rather look for different design. it's quite complex and unreliable to sync data between repeating section and list.

Badge +9

Thanks Marian for this. 

Do you have suggestions of different designs where it would be easy to update multiple information on a single form and at the same time be able to take this info to build some dashboards?

‌, any ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

unfortunately forms do not have adequate support to input master-detail (or parent-child) related data.

kind of mimic of this feature is repeating section, but as you have noticed it has several limitations and problems.

somewhere I read about approach where there was used just list view control of child list. there were buttons to add and update child items which opened new and edit form of child list in a popup.

good approach might as well be (and I would prefer it) to design a custom page with two webparts, one for parent list or single item and second for child list.