DateTime UTC offset when calling another workflow

• 20 January 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Hi all,

I have a problem with a datetime value. My workflow calls another workflow, that has a datetime start parameter. This second worklfow always gets the dateime value with the offset to UTC.

Example: the web's timezone is set to Berlin UTC+1. When I pass a date with time 1:00 the second workflow receives 2:00.

I tried various things to adjust this, but unfortunately to no avail. I tried the calculate date action with various settings, I tried converting the value to an ISO string and parsing this back to datetime and I even tried combinations of this.

Does anybody have an idea how I can get back the original value?

TIA, Andi

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You mention the Web Application's timezone is set to +1. Is it set in the site collection region settings, or the web application global settings? Is the workflow starting in the same site collection?

Also, I would double check the server's timezone, do all match what you expect?

Badge +4

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your suggestions. I already checked all these. The server's timezone as well as the web app's setting and the setting in the website are the same (UTC+1). By changing those I found out, that the workflow engine seems to use the setting from the web app. Changes in the site have only visual aspects in SharePoint itself (by adjusting all displayed time values). Changes to the servers timezone seem to have no effect at all.

The workflows are both list workflows on the same list and therefor running on the same item. The first workflow gets the date time right, but when it is passed over to the second workflow it always applies the UTC offset from the setting in the web app.

Andi

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It could be a bug. But if the workflows are running on the same list item, could you save the value to a field in the list item, then start the second workflow can get the value of that field?

Badge +4

Of course I could do that. I'm just interested in why this works as it does and if there is a way to correct it.

Cheers anyway, Andi

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

OK, just wanted to make sure you had other options. It could be a bug, as it is re-translating the time on a value that was already translated. I would have to test myself if I get the same issue. What SharePoint version do you have? Latest build of Nintex?