The whole system consists of one main workflow which is basically a state machine calling different sub workflows. The sub workflows are not too complex and they all have a pause at the beginning.
hm, that's weird. I'm running out of ideas.
something apparently takes much longer then it should in the background.
would you mind sharing screenshot of your workflow, at least path from beginning of master workflow till flexi task in child workflow is reached?
just to get an idea what's going on there down the way.
I understand that you are running out of ideas - that's what I'm struggling with for weeks 😉
The workflows "belong" to a customer and I don't want to make them public without consent (which could take some time).
The workflows are quite big, but not very complicated. The main workflow is mainly a state machine. Each state calls a sub workflow. The sub workflow sets a hidden field before ending which the state machine then reads. Depending on this "outcome" it goes to the next stage or ends.
The sub workflows do look for responsible persons which could be a more or less complicated thing. It is done by reading at least one list by using the Query List action. In some cases it's necessary to query another list as well. All those users are stored in a collection variable and the flexi task is assigned to this variable. No magic involved.
And I don't see why anything done before the task is asigned could affect the task locking behaviour...
But anyway, thanks for trying to help!
ok, I understand.
any chance you get a correlation ID with task locked message?
or any other clues from ULS logs?
here I find a piece of code that should be capable to release the lock This task is currently locked by a running workflow and cannot be edited
even if it might not be the best idea to force lock release on prod env, however, if you examined other properties of used SPBuiltInFieldId class it might point you to a direction what/when/why locks your task.
when I googled a bit about the problem I found a mention that it happened when 'Workflow Services were running on different servers in the farm at the same time'.
so, you may want to check whether your underlying infrastructure is set up properly.
Hi Marian, I really appreciate your effort 😉
I searched ULS logs up and down but unfortunately to no avail. I'm sure there must be something there, but couldn't find it so far. The problem here is, that it is not foreseeable when a task ist locked and when the users tell me, most of the time it is too late. And of course they can't remember the exact time when they tried...
Regarding the other thread: I know about this trick with setting the Workflow Version field. I think it is there since SharePoint has workflows (2007?). Perhaps I will give it a try when I can get hold of a locked task myself.
And regarding the last one: we have only one machine yet in the farm, but thinking about adding another one (due to different reasons). Do you think it is a problem when we activate the workflow service on more than one machine? I don't think this should matter and of course having it on more machines is in respect of things like availability and such.
Do you think it is a problem when we activate the workflow service on more than one machine?
I'm not SP infrastructure expert, I'm not able to give you reliable answer.
one last think (for now ), could it be that you have on the list of assignees user accounts that are not in AD (anymore)?
I have seen issues caused by that. maybe it just takes too much time to resolve whole list.
At the moment I'm sure that all assignees are valid AD users, because we are still doing tests with "only" about 20-30 persons. And they are all there and responding to their tasks if possible.
We have same issue. Tried with New Task List and felt the issue is no more. But still when the task is delegated and someone takes an action on it. Users can Task Lock errors. "The Task is currently locked by another user"
I am not sure if its coz the email goes out to the user earlier than the system finishes task processing and making it ready for the new assignee.
Still struggling to get it resolved completely.