Task forms keep replacing each other

• 25 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone,

I've been dealing with this issue for about two weeks, and I really can't seem to understand why it happens nor how to solve it.

I've designed a Nintex Workflow (for SharePoint 2013) that uses a state machine with four states, three of which have some kind of task form action (mostly flexi tasks).

The problem is simple: in more than one occasion I've found that the task forms are replacing with one another. Right now, I have a flexi task that, once I finish editing its form, it replaces the task form of a Request Data action that I have in other state of the machine. It's not spontaneous, but if after editing the flexi task task form I try to edit the Request Data task form, all of the buttons within its ribbon are greyed out, and if I then save and open the workflow again, I find that the Request Data action has been replaced by the flexi task (LITERALLY replaced). If, instead of saving, I go and try to edit the flexi task again, I get this message warning me that the task form is shared with other actions (no matter what I choose, the request data form breaks).

Any help/advice/comments would be really appreciated, as I believe this is something that shouldn't happen. It really makes the developed solutions not reliable at all.

Thanks in advance!  

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

The only thing I can think of is that you might have copied one of the Data Request / Flexi-Task Workflow Actions, and in doing so, the Forms are "shared" between the Workflow Actions that are duplicates of some original.

For instance

Here is a Workflow that has a State Machine with two branches and two Request Data Tasks:

Even though the two tasks are configured differently:

Form 1

Form 2

Because I copied the second Request Data Action (Test 2) from Test 1, if I try to edit the Task Form (on either!), I get the following warning: 

If I click on Cancel, the result is that the Form displayed to me is the one from the original Task that I copied this Workflow Action from:

However, if when prompted with that Form Edit warning, I click on OK instead:

I'm prompted to make a new form. Once complete, I can verify that it worked by editing the various Workflow Actions and looking at the Form to make sure.

Now Test - 1's form shows:

and Test - 2's form shows:

Unfortunately and as far as I know, the warning dialog that pops up whenever you try to edit a Nintex Form that might be associated with more than one action, is the only way to see if you've actually run into that scenario. If I were you, I'd go into the Workflow and try to edit each form to see if you get that modal pop-up message as shown above. If you do, then you know that you have a few forms that are associated with multiple workflow actions (hence why a change to one shows up for another). However, if that is not the case and all of your forms appear to be separate, then my next step would be to open each form and add a discrete rich field text message that will allow you to identify the form at a glance. 

At least by doing that you should be able to see explicitly which form you have open for any given task. That would assist in trouble shooting beyond that because if you find that you've opened a task form that is displaying a message that is not what it should be, then you'll have a better idea of either what went wrong or at least can give us more info here to use in assisting you. 

I hope this helps! 

Sorry I never replied to this. Totally my bad.

In the end, it wasn't possible to solve the issue. We ended up accepting the fact that it happens, and the best workaround is, whenever we have to work multiple flexi tasks in single workflow, publish it after a change is made to any task, refresh, and move to the next change we want to make.