Not applicable

Task Forms - Workflows

Jump to solution

Hi

I have a workflow with 3 tasks approvals stages

This means that at each stage the someone is emailed to either approve/reject the item in question.

Is it possible to amend the first form

and use this same form for the other two by importing them?

I hope that this makes sense ? 

Thanks

Karen

0 Kudos
7 Replies
philipplucas
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Task Forms - Workflows

Jump to solution

Hi Karen,

you can export your first form via the ribbon of the nintex forms designer of your first task and import it later on the second task action, that's normally no problem at all.

But what you could also do:

After you configured your first approval task you can copy this task action for using it again. By copying the task action, you create connections between the forms of the task actions i. e. if you try to edit the form of the first task, nintex will give you an info-box telling you that this form is connected to other actions and asking you if you want to create a new instance of this form or edit the shared form.

Unfortunately I don't know any way of inspecting globally which task actions share which forms. Maybe someone else knows more about this topic.

Hope this helps, tell us if you need more information.

Greetings

Philipp

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Philipp Lucas

Thank you for your reply, this is the first time that I have edited a "task form" so I am unsure where it has picked up some of the fields from as they do not match the original form that I had created.

I will continue to amend the form and then try the export/import as suggested..    I will also look into the copy task action as well.

Thanks for you help with this, much appreciated!

Karen

0 Kudos
philipplucas
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

You are very welcome!

I just stumbled on your first sentence. The fields you see initially when you edit the task form from within the workflow are the regular fields of the SharePoint-Task (like decision, comment, ...), so this is where these fields come from.

So when you talk about the "original" form, do you mean your form for creating the list item? These forms are by default not connected to the task forms of the workflow. However, you can add all the fields from your item-creation form and place them on the task form, if that is what you were actually looking for.

Especially after creating large and complex start forms, I personally like to export this form and import it as the task form. Afterwards I add all the task fields I need under the form. As a result i have my initial form presented to the approver with some additional fields where he/she can put in a comment and make a decision (my customers mostly want exactly that). I think this is a better way than creating the new item form on the task form from scratch.

If that wasn't your requirement, just forget what you just read and tell us what else you want to know

Greetings

Philipp

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

HI Philipp Lucas

I think you have almost answered my question.  My requirement is this - I would like to use the form which I created for the list item..    Can I import this? No worries If I cant.

I think from your comment I can use other fields though?  I  notice that it has used a external list which is incorrect?

Thanks

Karen

0 Kudos
philipplucas
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Yes! You can export your form for the list item and import it again when editing the task forms in your workflow so your approver will see the exact same form the user saw when creating the list item.

Just make sure that you:

1. Add all the required task columns on the task form as well. Otherwise your approver will see the original item form but won't be able to approve/reject it and give comments. Normally you should at least add the fields "Decision" (Approve/Reject), "Comments" (If your approver wants to give a reason for his/her decision) and of course some Buttons for Save and Cancel.
  2. Check all fields in your task form that were imported from the new item form and make sure the connections to the list columns are still working. You can check that in the control settings of a control or directly in the ribbon after clicking a control once. If necessary, just reconnect them to the respective column.

It is correct that your task form is connected to an external task list. This is the list you can select in your workflow settings. In Nintex Task forms you have normally 4 kinds of controls that you can use:

1. General - general controls like labels or text boxes, nothing special about them
  2. SharePoint - specific controls that can be used to access/present data from e. g. another SharePoint-List
  3. List Columns - these columns represent the columns/fields of the list your workflow is running on
  4. Task Columns - these columns represent the columns/fields of the task list your workflow is using

Hope that makes it a little clearer.

Greetings

Philipp

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi

thanks for your help, I have not really edited the task form before!

Karen

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

And thank YOU, for hitting the correct answer button, Karen!

0 Kudos