How to make an attachment REQUIRED?

Badge +6

See the image circled in blue below.

How do I make it REQUIRED to attach the requested document when saving?

If a user tries to save without the attachment, it will trigger an error message requesting the attachment.

Nintex Question2.JPG

9 replies

Badge +6

Hey Inger,

you can configure it in the settings of the attachment Control:

185755_pastedImage_0.png

This is the result of my configuration:

185762_pastedImage_1.png

Best regards,

Jan

Badge +6

My settings are set this way and its not working for me.

Please help.Nintex Attachment Control Settings.JPG

Badge +6

Hi Inger,

I experienced exactly the same thing as you in my test list, when I went to replicate the issue. I did, however, get it to work eventually by removing the attachment control from the form and saving and closing the form. I then Reopened the form and add the attachment control back in, replicated your validation settings and this then worked for me.

The one thing I did note with your settings is that you do have a "Disallowed file format error message" defined , with no Allowed file formats listed. Not sure if that had anything to do with the processing of the logic.

Certainly, the method I used above corrected the behaviour.

Regards,

Mark

Badge +6

I am so frustrated at this point.

I tried removing the attachment field, I saved and closed the field. I gave it a few minutes and came back into the form to re-add the attachment field just as you instructed and its still not working.

I am having so many problems with things that seem SO SIMPLE.

Can someone please help?

Now, not only is my file NOT a required field upon saving----my form will save when its TOTALLY BLANK just cause I added this Confirmation Message.

How can I make the form REQUIRE an attachment, validate that all required fields are complete AND give a Thank You message?

Am I asking for too much?

Nintex Save Mssg 1.JPGNintex Save Mssg 2.JPG

Badge +6

I wish that was my “FIX”----however that did not work for me.

I have tried multiple times to remove the attachment control and add it back later and the control still doesn’t work for me.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Inger Spikner

IT Business Unit Liaison

Direct: 901-537-7347

Fax: 901-537-8594

<http://inside-helena.helena.local/>

Badge +6

Hi,

To ensure that the other required fields have data, have you enabled the "Require that this column contains data" in the List column settings? This will ensure that you can't enter an empty form at least! I would not complicate your form with the popup, until you can resolve the attachment issue.

Regarding the validation of the form fields, if you do not have the list columns marked as requiring data, you can set up a validation rule on the form, to ensure that the fields you need to have data, do.

Actually that has given me an idea! You could (even though you shouldnt need too) add a validation rule on the attachment control like below:

I tested this and I thought it worked, but of course it was looking for the attachment on the Item existing (Not before it is created, which we are trying to do).

I'm sorry, I don't have much else to offer other than ask if you have any custom scripting on the form that may be potentially interferring with the action.

You may need to raise a support ticket.

Cheers,

Mark

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have a look here https://community.nintex.com/message/42747#comment-42747

Badge +16

Did you find a resolution ‌?

Badge +11

Hi,

When you are re-adding, are you re-adding from the SharePoint list columns on offer?

If so, I would recommend rather that you add a plain attachment control from the control selection, and add that to the form; then point that to your SharePoint attachments column. Whenever I've found controls acting unpredictably, this has (most times) been the way to fix it.