allan48728
Apprentice

Re: Storing SharePoint Group in Global Variables

For anyone seeing this thread, Troy's solution of storing it in a Single Line of Text variable worked for me too. Keep in mind that the Nintex Workflow "Person or Group" variable type may only work if the person or group exists in AD. If the group only exists as a SharePoint group, that's where you may run into trouble if using the Person or Group variable type. Use the text variable type instead and insert the plain text string name of the SharePoint Group. This was the case for me.

0 Kudos
emha
Collaborator

Allan Nevala any details why do you think people or group variable shouldn't work with sharepoint group?

I use it that way regularly without any problems.

0 Kudos
allan48728
Apprentice

Marian, it probably depends on context. If the Person variable isn't working as expected, then try just using a Text variable type. I've recently used the Person variable type successfully with assigning tasks to individuals and groups.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Allan, I am trying to do the same the same assignment to a variable based on a condition. I have a complex workflow that utilizes a "reusable" Flexitask. I use a variable to populate the assignee for the task. The assignee may be an individual or SharePoint group (not an AD group). The variable is not populated on the workflow initiation form or in a list column. Based on conditions (outcome of another flexitask) that are not known until the workflow is in progress,  I try to populate the variable using the 'set a variable' action in the workflow. or if I try to populate the text variable with the text that matches the name of the group, letting the assign action resolve the group, I get an error. If I try to populate the person/group variable with the SharePoint group I get an error. Either of these ways to populate the appropriate variable works just fine with an individual (all individuals are in AD).

I can use the same groups to assign tasks on the initiation form, but there I have the option to tell the form how to resolve and pass the parameter to the workflow, and I know up front which group I need to choose. I cannot make the on-the-fly variables work, whether they are on the initiation form or not.

The flow looks like this:

Individuals: Person A, Person B, Person C, Person D

SharePoint Groups:  Group X consists of Person A and Person B, Group Purchasing consists of Person D

Purchasing receives flexitask with outcomes: 'Accept', 'Reject', 'Return to Person C', 'Return to Group X'

I want to populate a variable that tells me the assignee of the 'Return to' Flexitask. and can be used in the task notification  "To"  field.

I can't get the SharePoint Group X in either a text or person/group variable to work. I know it's got to be simple ...

0 Kudos