Nintex 2016 form web part not working with custom master page

Badge +1

When using the nintex form web part with a custom master page, we are able to add it to the page and configure it properly, however, when viewing the page as a user, we are getting the error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in the place where the web part should be. 

I've seen the various postings for SharePoint 2013 suggesting the WebPartPages control be moved to the body section of the master page and other variations of that like moving this bit of code before the s4-workspace div:

<!--SPM:<SharePoint:AjaxDelta id="DeltaSPWebPartManager"runat="server">--> <!--SPM:<WebPartPages:SPWebPartManager runat="server"/>--> <!--SPM:</SharePoint:AjaxDelta>--> <div id="s4-workspace" class="s4-nosetwidth">

None of the above actually resolves the problem in SharePoint 2016 though. The forms web part displays on the page per usual if I reset it back to the out of the box master page, so there's definitely something missing from the custom master page. Is there any other guidance available on what lines of code MUST be present in the master page for it to function properly? Also worth noting, not seeing anything useful in the ULS logs either.

Thanks,

Summer

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi Summer,

did you have a look at your browsers developer tools? There should be more information available inside the console and the network tab.

You can also try to compare your custom masterpage with the default one to find the missing pieces, pay special attention to the directives in the heads of the masterpage files.

Did you create the custom masterpage yourself? I think it's a good practice to start with a default one and customize it regarding your needs. This reduces the chance of forgetting the "usual SharePoint stuff" which can result in errors like that.

Best Regards

Philipp

Badge +1

Hi Phillip,

Yes, started from the base starter master page. At this point Nintex forms is the only web part that isn't working with our custom master page. I have a case open with Nintex support, and after looking over it with me live, it doesn't sound like they're going to be of much help either, which is pretty disappointing.  One would think they would be able to provide documentation for what is required in the master page and page layouts in order for their web part to function properly. 

If I do get any useful information from them, I'll be sure to update here. And in the meantime if anyone else has run into anything similar or has other ideas, would love to read them!

Thanks,

Summer

Badge +11

Regarding support I know exactly what you are talking about wink.png

I can only recommend to be persistent. Of course they wont be responsible for problems originating from a custom master page but I think they could help you if they just wanted...

Hang on there!