Limit the number of slots.

Badge +9

Hi All,

In a default activity, we have an option of limiting the number of slots or create a slot for each destination.

What is the difference between the two ? and when do we opt for either of it?

Pls reply ASAP.

Thanks and Regards.

10 replies

Badge +7

Hi, If you use a slot for each destination, it meens that you will have as many instance of the activity as you have destination users. For example, if you set 3 destination users, there will be 3 slots so each user will be able to participate.

If you use limited number of slots (for example, 2 slots) and you have more users (for example 3 users), only two of them (the two first to load the form or ton interact with de process) will be able to "work",  as soon as the two instances are opened, the third user will not see the activity in his task list anymore.

Hope this helps

Badge +3

Also keep in mind that you may want to consider using the activity 'Succeeding Rule' to successfully complete responses from multiple destinations having multiple slots.

A typical 'K2 Training' scenario for multiple slots are as follows:

You have a business scenario where you need to approve a purchase order. You send the decision to 3 managers. In order to approve the order all three managers must approve.

If you only assigned one (1) slot, the first manager to view the item in his/her worklist will approve, and K2 will consider the instances complete.

when you assing 3 slots, and set the succeeding rule to wait for a response from all three (3) managers, K2 will not proceed with execution of the rest of the process until a response from all three managers have been received.

You can get a full explanation of this in the K2.net 2003 Help file. (Keyword search: Succeeding rule, slots)

hth

Badge +9

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for replying.

Badge +9

Hi All,

If I have 3 destination users for an activity and select "Create a Slot for each Destination" and I finish the WorkListItem for one user, then Will the activity get finished or I have to finish the WorkListItem of each user ?

Finishing the WorkListItem will be by : WorkListItem.finish();

Pls guide.

Thanks and Regards

Badge +9
If you don't have an appropriate Succeeding Rule in place for this activity, then yes, Finishing one worklist item will finish the Activity.
Badge +9

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for replying.

Ok then if I need to meet the following requirement , then what should I do ?

I have 3 Destination Users. I want the activity datafield RESULT to be updated to PASS by all the 3 in order to continue the flow.

Pls guide .

Thanks and Regards

Badge +13

Try

Public sub Main(ByRef K2 As SucceedingRuleContext)

Dim Counter As Integer = 0
    Dim ActInstDest As ActivityInstanceDestination

For Each ActInstDest In K2.ActivityInstance.Destinations
        If ActInstDest.DataFields("RESULT").Value = "PASS" Then
            Counter += 1
        End If
    Next

If Counter = 3 Then
        K2.SucceedingRule = True
    Else
        K2.SucceedingRule = False
    End If

End Sub

Badge +9

1. Create an Activity data field called "Result"

2. Within the Activity General section of Activty Properties make sure slots are set at 3 or "create slot for each destination" if you only have 3 destinations

3. Create a succeeding rule with the following parameters

First Variable:                    [{K2.ActivityInstanceDestination.DataFields("Result").Value}]
Logical Function::               At Least
Logical Data  :                    3
Comparison Operator:         =
Second Variable: :              PASS 

4. The UI/users should then Finish each task accordingly setting this activity data field to "PASS"

Please note, that this succeeding rule will only return true (and thus complete this activity) if all 3 are set to PASS. If there are other conditions possible (i.e. if 1 person can say FAIL) then this succeeding rule will need to be exanded to support that logic.

HTH

Badge +9

Hi Bob,

Many a thanks for replying.

Sorry for a late reply cause I was making myself clear about the concept of Suceeding Rule.

I implemented as per Ur  suggestion.

I found this is happening :

One user updates the value of Result to PASS. Then he finishes the WorkListitem. The other 2 users do not update and finish their worklistitem. This is causing the activity to complete.Thus control is transferred to the next activity which has a Server Mail Event causing the Event to fire.

There is no line rule between the 2 activities. I think there should be a line rule  which should be the same as the Suceeding Rule.

Pls guide.

Thanks and Regards

Badge +9

Would it be possible to post your K2 Studio solution files here for review?

Thx.