Error: "A database error occurred"

• 15 December 2004
  • 1 reply

Badge +8

I came across an error and I though this might happen to some folks in the future, so thought I'd scribble it down here.

K2 server throws the following error when trying to start new process instances: "A database error occurred". And in the K2Error.txt it was logged as "K2Sql.LoadProcess: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".

The problem in my case was that the Process files referenced assemblies that were in the GAC on the Dev machine, but were exported to a Test machine where these assemblies were not in the GAC. So the Test machine hit these exceptions. The problem was solved when these assemblies were added to the GAC on the Test machine.

1 reply

Badge +3
This was a real lifesaver.. We had a production process that suddenly went down mid day with this error being thrown in the log. It seems that these assemblies are referenced at the project level, and even if they are not referenced in a specific process/workflow, exporting another workflow within the same project that does will BREAK every other process in the same project if that .dll is not referenced in the GAC of the server. We had a case open with K2 and they were scratching their heads until I stubled across this post. Once I pointed them to it we were able to hunt down the offending .dll, remove it at the project level, re-export the process, and all was well.

It's definitely worthy of a KB article, particularly because of the behavior of the .dll being associated at the project level.

Many thanks.