Can you hide a Nintex form field, but still use it's value?

• 13 September 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

I noticed something odd...You can make form fields, such as a Calculated Value, "Visible - Yes/No", but if you make it "No" then you can no longer use it anywhere?  I could understand if you Disabled the field then it wouldn't but usable, but why does making a field "Visible - No" mean you can't use it's value?  Sometimes you need to hide something from the end users visibility, but still use the value.  Is that not possible?

9 replies

Badge +16

bit of a fudge but you can put it behind another control on the form and still use it and it will be hidden from the end user.  drag it to a control on the form and choose "Send to Back".

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

...or use css to hide it. 

display:none

Badge +3

Thank you Cassy!  That works for me and is simple enough.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Just make sure that you've got something to tell you, or the next guy/gal that the control is there. If it's hidden behind the control on the designer it can easily be forgotten and if a validation rule or something gets applied, it'll confuse the heck out of the next person. 

Badge +3

Yea I made field slightly bigger than the control so you could still see it and click on it when working on the form. You could hide it completely if you aren't careful though.

Badge +11

Another approach is to create rule on the field. condition: 1==1, Hide. This will always hide it still using its value.

Badge +4

That works for me!! Thanks.

Badge +2

Both solutions mentioned here:

- "Send to Back" on the control which should be hidden

- Apply CSS style

They are applying to a Classic Form. I am using a Responsive Form and it is not possible to use both of above mentioned solutions.

Are there any other methods to use the value from a hidden form control?

Badge
Try using the hiding rule of "when 1==1" like what @kapilikjoshi said, using that worked for me