Is there a way to restart a workflow which erred?

• 21 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

I have a list on SharePoint 2013 which has drop down questions/fields based on a person's job title. One of these questions is to have the requestor input their managers name. I have no way of making this drop down question/field mandatory that I know of. 

When a user does not input the manager name the workflow errs because it cannot send the required task to the manager.

Is there a way I can edit the list and restart the workflow from where it erred?

I am using Nintex 2013.

Thanks,

Suzanne

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Currently Nintex Workflow has not this feature. Anyway you could redesign your workflow using a state machine with different states for your stages, then if a workflow errors, you could restart another workflow instance and you could redirect the state machine from your last stage.

Badge +5

I don't think this option would work for me.  See, the request is for travel approval and depending who is funding the request decides how high up the level leadership approval needs to go.  When it has to go to the Vice President of the organization for approval he likes to see all the prior approvers comments. 

Is there a way to carry over the others comments to another workflow?

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Suzanne‌,

What you could consider is prior to assigning the task add a Run-If to test if the Assignee field is empty. If it is you can send an email to who ever needs to enter the proper name and include a Wait if action for the field to contain a value. Then you assign the task and are sure that there's an assignee to use.

Hopefully this helps. As for your question, no there's no direct way to get the comments for a failed approval workflow. To do so, you need to design a solution for this (e.g. a list with a approval/request ID, approval comments and last status) and have your approval workflow to check this first etc.....

Badge +7

To restart the Workflow Restart the Failed Workflows