Is it possible to use the \Create item in another site\" to create an item in another web application?"

Badge +7

Wondering if this is possible or not.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

10 replies

Badge +11

Yes, it is possible to use this action to create item in different webapp. Instead of selecting site, you can enter the different webapp/site URL and then select the corresponding list where you want to create the item. Hope it helps.

Badge +7

Hi Kapil,

That is what I assumed but when I gave it a try it didn't work.

Create Site Specific Item Activity The Web application at http://xxxportal

could not be found. Verify that you have typed the URL correctly. If the URL

should be serving existing content, the system administrator may need to add a

new request URL mapping

Not sure why this failed as the suer has permissions and I was able to configure the action without any issues.

Badge +3

Hi eric halsey

Is the web application accessible from the internet and does it have access to Nintex Live?
If yes, then you could try adding the "SharePoint create list item" action from the Catalog, then configure this action with the information of the site that sits on on a different web application.

The actions SharePoint & Office 365 actions available in Nintex Live Catalog allows you to perform operations across different environments and even suitable for hybrid solutions happy.png.

If it's an on premise SharePoint environment, you'll need a Nintex Workflow license that is Live enabled and this site needs to be accessible from the internet (outside of company network) so that Nintex Live can communicate with it.

Badge +7

Hi Danny Ong,

We do not expose our environments to the internet at this time but thank you for the recommendation.

Badge +11

Hi Eric,

Where are you receiving that error? While configuring the "Create Item in another Site" action or after executing the workflow? Here's what mine looks like:

example.jpg

Try enabling the Error Handling to see if you get more details.

Badge +7

It configures ok. I get the error at runtime.

Badge +11

You can try the same action with another site within the same webapp and see if that works. Also, you can add this action to Action Set and enable option to Run as Workflow Owner.

Badge +11

This may help:

https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1363

Badge +7

Thanks burkslm.  It sounds like it is NOT possible to use the "Create item in another site" action to copy an item to a different farm since it uses the object model behind the scenes.  Thanks!

Badge +11

No problem.