SharePoint 2016 On Premise Automate document approvals by multiple Parties NOT Using O365

Badge +3

PLEASE HELP,

I need help with step by step instructions for applying this process for Nintex on prem not Cloud. Automate document approvals by multiple parties with Nintex on premise and using SharePoint 2016 on premise. This link step by step instructions are perfect if you are using the cloud instance

https://help.nintex.com/en-us/Office365/Solution/StateMachine/1-CreateWorkflow.htm

18 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - 

Have you tried these articles:

You should be able to create a state machine with flexi-tasks within to handle multi-party approvals simlar to what is shown here: Nintex Community - Using State Machine Workflows.

Regards, 

-Sam

Badge +3
First thank you Sam for your quick response. I have seen and tried to use this but get confused. The link I sent has step by step instructions in which I can follow if I get confused. Do you know of any step by step for on-prem? All I ever find is O365. Any further assistance you can provide is GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Badge +3

Also, I have this setup a list that query the list and pull the name from that list for assigning to the next person. How do I add the document to the approval process? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - The links I provided in my previous post are all for Nintex for SharePoint 2016 On-Prem, so they should get you dialed in a bit more vs the article you linked of Nintex for Office 365.

Is the list you are referencing for your approval names the same list where the workflow is being run - or is it a different list?  What errors are you seeing or are things just not working at all?

I did notice that in your screenshot, you don't have any End State Machine actions in the non-concur section.

If you wanted to get away from using a state machine, you could just line up all the flexi tasks - with each new flexi task added to the concur section.

Badge +3

(Q) Is the list you are referencing for your approval names the same list where the workflow is being run - or is it a different list?  (A) Its a different list

(Q) What errors are you seeing or are things just not working at all? (A) Not working at all.

This is the link where I found a sample for the query list https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2OA8pQSinM

I am not good at understanding how to apply the variable.

(Q) I did notice that in your screenshot, you don't have any End State Machine actions in the non-concur section. (A) Yes, I just wanted to get the document moving to the next state.

Badge +3

Sam you have been so gracious in providing help and just responding to my post. If you can help me just do the following, I will remove the query list and just assign in order.

Can you help me attach the document to the workflow which allows each state to concur then send to the next state?

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW -

Not a worry at all.  I'm more than glad to help.

In your Flexi Task, you could have the option to link the attachments.  Look in the Task Notifications settings section.  There is a field for Attachments. Make sure Include list item attachments is selected.  For more info, here's the Nintex for SP2016 help section that covers it.

-Sam

Badge +3

Thanks Sam,

I saw that box and did check it. I think it appears in the e-mail and not on the approval Nintex Task Form. I want the user to have the ability to review then concur or non concur. By attaching the document to the email will that take the user off the workflow and return them to the window to concur or non concur.

Once again, I really appreciate your help. I need to get this done but having these issues.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - I'm waiting to get access to an on-prem system on my side of things.  Once I do, I'll build up something similar to yours and offer up a bit more information.

Badge +3

Thank you. I have another thought Should i open another thread? its regarding a workflow document review process using a document library but I need the document in the library to be apart of the review flow for approvers to review then approve or reject. Any thoughts?

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW  -  Yeah, I'd break up the topics.  I have access and am working through things on my side.  Apologies for the delay.

-Sam

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW: Quick question as it's been a bit since I've used SP2016.  Are you not seeing the attachments on the SharePoint task window when going to approve? Just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand.

Badge +3

Sam,

I am using nintex workflow and forms. This probably needs to be on the other topic?

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - Yup, I know. When you send a flexi-task message, it has a link back for users to click to approve/deny - that part, in my screenshot above, is in SharePoint 2016.  Unless you are using a Nintex task form as well as a normal Nintex form.

Badge +3

If I am not mistaken, I am using a Nintex task form as well as a normal Nintex form. I want to make sure I am correct. Did I answer your question?

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - Thank you for clarifying, that'll help.  Let me wrench on things on this end and I'll be back with screenshots.  I appreciate your patience.

-Sam

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@RodneyW - In doing some research, I've found that in order to pull the attachments over to a Nintex Task Form, there is some extra work to be done due to the Task list being a totally different list than the main list used for your item.  However, if you just use the standard SharePoint Task Form, the attachments are already included at the bottom of the form.  I don't have a solid solution for getting the lookups and variables in place to get the attachments on the Nintex Task Form, but there are a few articles within Community that list out suggested solutions.

For your state machine, I created and exported a sample workflow that has four approval stages, one addition information stage, and finally an approval stage.  It's attached for you to check out.  It is built to support a simple custom list with the following settings:

I hope that helps somewhat. 

-Sam

Badge +3

Sam my thanks to you. I will take a look at what you provided. This task is becoming more challenging every day. I am thinking of just going with a document library to perform the routing. Someone helped me with using a document library and pulling names using a variable. Its close but still has issue when workflow is sent to the second user as the workflow moves to complete when its not.