Discussion Board Workflow Conditional Start

• 17 January 2018
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

Hi, I'm creating a Workflow for my discussion board, I only want the workflow to start for new items, not when individuals reply.

I've tested it and the workflow works if I set "Start when items are created" to "Yes" - but it then starts a new workflow for every reply the discussion receives too. 

I've tried doing a Conditional Start trying to filter only on fields that appear when creating a new discussion (e.g. category or Item ID) but the workflow then doesn't start at all. 

Any advice on how to get the workflow to start ONLY when a new discussion is added?

Thanks in advance :-)

3 replies

Badge +9

Hi Stephanie, 

May be you can create a flag field, like a (Yes/No) or a single line of text to mark it with "Yes" or 1 once the workflow starts. the first time. Make its default value to be "No or 0". Make it a conditional start only when then this flag is set to zero and put the whole workflow inside a run if action; to run the workflow only if that flag is set to "No", otherwise it will skip..  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have a look on this thread

Badge +1

Hi Christine, thanks for responding. Very new to Nintex workflow so I'm a little bit lost with your reply sorry!

Where should I create the flag field is this an action on the work flow, a variable or create it as a column on the list itself?

I'm assuming once I know the above it should be pretty straight forward to set the default value to no/0. And I think I understand how to do the conditional start once the above field is available for me to select :-) 

So final question (sorry) should the first action on my workflow be the run if action?

Thanks in advance.