'Granular Security'

• 17 November 2009
  • 0 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

We have not yet purchased K2 blackpoint. I have a very specific need and would like to know if K2 blackpoint can meet it.

• User A starts the workflow, supplying about 4 columns of info.
    Only User A should be able to update this info.
  • Request goes to his manager for approval and addition of column 5 (cost center).
    Only the Manager should be able to update this info.
  • Request goes to finance for approval and addition of columns 6-8 (ROI).
    Only Finance should be able to update this info.
  • The request ends up going through 6-8 people, each of whom adds some data which should not be changed by the others.
  • There are lots of aggregate reporting needs that are easily solved by grouped and/or filtered views on a SharePoint list.

Using custom forms, content types, and workflows in SharePoint Designer, I can make it LOOK like only User A can update the initial info, but any of these users with enough knowledge can eventually find the list and update any column. So I'm looking for Something Else.

K2 blackpoint would make it much faster and easier to put this together, as well as the inevitable reassignment. ("I have a new position, I don't do this any more.") But the documentation I've found so far is not clear if it can enforce the update restrictions. I can find some oblique references to 'granular security' but haven't yet stumbled upon anything of substance, so I thought I'd just ask.

Can K2 blackpoint enforce granular / column security AND still be able to do view-type reports like "all requests in step 1", "all requests in step 2", "requests in step 3 older than 60 days", etc?

0 replies

Be the first to reply!