Escalation Question

Badge +9
Hello
I have an activity1 that wait for a user response.
i created an escalation rule for this avtivity1 to go to another activty2 after a certain time.
the problem is that when the escalation is launching the activity1 is expired and the activity 2 is Active.
Is their any way that the activity1 stay active because for me the activity2 is working as a reminder for the manager in order to call the user and make him give a response.

If this not applicable is their anyway to do it?

Please Help

17 replies

Badge +11
It sounds like you're making use of a 'GoTo' Escalation. If Activity2 just acts as a notification, you should rather make use of a 'Email' Escalation.

HTH,
Ockert
Badge +9
No i can't create an email cause i need to remind with a task in his workspace how can it be done?
Badge +11
Ok, and what does your current notification look like? Is it a mail sent to the user? Have you got a link pointing to the appropriate worklist item?

I would save the full client event URL to an Activity level datafield - Then, in the Escalation, loop through the ActInstDestination objects retrieving each Destination user's corresponding datafield - sending the mail with the correct URL.

Does this make sense?

Ockert
Badge +9
My scenario is:
the k2 workspace is published in CRM browser.
Every user will be able to check his worklist from CRM, so i need to create a task for the manger in order to call the user on his phone and tell thim to send the response.

So all the tasks have to be in the worklist, we are not using the email in anything, that's why i can't use the email escalation.

Can it be done like this?
Badge +11
Hmm, difficult one...

You could:
Keep the two Activities you currently have but replace the client event in Activity2 with an IPC Server event (starting an ASynchronous IPC process) - passing in the Destination User's name through to another process - let's call it MgrEscProcess. After the IPC event has fired, the parent process should immediately return to Activity1 i.e. re-instantiating Activity1 with the corresponding client event for the specific user. The MgrEscProcess should only contain one Activity with the client event previously housed in Activity2. The Destination user of this Activity should then obviously be the 'Send to Manager' of the passed-in user name.

I'm sure there would be other solutions too but this is the first one which came to mind.

HTH,
Ockert
Badge +9
Hello Ockert
I tried it but it did't worked
when it called the other activity it lunched the IPC event but it didn't return to the activity1 the activity was expired after the escalation

What should i do
Badge +11
You'll need a connecting line back from Activity2 (containing the IPC) to Acitivity1 (containing the client event).

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +9
Hello Ockert

i added the line rule between these 2 activities and it is working fine but there is antother problem
in my case the activity1 contains a BTS Orchestration Event so when it is escalating to the other activity after the activity is finished it goes back to the BTS Orchestration Event in the Activity 1 and run the orchestration another time that's what i don't want to happen because everytime it runs it change the event id that it passes to the orchestration so it cannot close the event.

Do you have any idea that could help?
Thanks in advance
Badge +11
Is it only the BTS orchestration in Activity1? What is it that the user (the one the manager needs to call) needs to action?

Regards,
Ockert
Badge +6
If I understand the requirement correctly, the user has to supply some input for a BTS orchestration to complete. This BTS orchestration was started from K2 and when completed, returns to K2 and the process moves on. In the event that the user has not supplied this input after some period of time you want K2 to create a task for his manager to call the user.

If this is the case you can try the following:

1. Create a process with a task for the manager to call the user.
2. Create a web service/assembly that can start the process in 1. (You cannot reference the K2ROM in the process so a webservice/assembly is required)
3. Call this web service from a default escalation to start the manager task process. The task process will be started and the manager will have the task on his worklist.

HTH,
Conrad
Badge +9
the BTS orchestration is talking with a user in a different system and if this user doesn't answer the event won't be closed and it will escalate informing the Manager that he have to call the user.
Badge +9
I have created the web service that calls this process but how to call from the escalation.
How to add the web reference and than call it from the default escaltion?

Thank you
Badge +11
Add a reference to your web service as you would add a normal reference - K2Studio -> Project | Properties | References | Add | WEB.
Supply all the necessary information and select Ok.
Then, in your code behind the Escalation Action, instantiate an object of type - YourWebReference and call the appropriate methods to start the other process instance.

HTH,
Ockert
Badge +9
Thank you for everything
I used Conrad method and everything worked fine the activity is escalating and working as a reminder.
Badge +9
I need to ask about something regarding the escalations.

I set the escalation to repeat 3 times but after she had repeated 3 times the activity stayed active is there anyway to set the activity as expired after the escalation have repeated her number of times?

Thanks
Badge +11
Once again, I think there may be other solutions but I would...
Create a 'GoTo' Escalation - just to see what the code behind the Escalation Action looks like. Remove this escalation again after you've made a note of what the code looks like.
Create a process level datafield - to keep track of the number of repeats. Each time the Escalation is repeated, increment this process level datafield.
In the Escalation Action, keep track of the number of repeats - if the number of repeats reached 3, execute the code which will expire the Activity - as noted in the first step.

HTH,
Ockert
Badge +9

Hello....a quick question, how to keep track the no. of repeats in the escalation action.