Not applicable

Send reoccurring email until sharepoint list is updated

Jump to solution

I'm trying to create a workflow that will send a email to a few people (defined as variables) every 15 days until a SharePoint list item is updated to a certain value.  It seems the pause for action works but my workflow has to wait the entire 15 days before it checks for updates to move to the next sequence.  I need real-time update so when an action is completed the workflow moves to the next sequence without having to wait for the defined 15 day "pause for" duration.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
vadim_tabakman
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Send reoccurring email until sharepoint list is updated

Jump to solution

Hi Robert,

the SharePoint workflow engine is not built to support the type of real-time processing you mentioned.

Instead of a delay for 15 days, you can shorten that to maybe 10 minutes and put it into a loop and do some checks to see if something has changed or you've reach the 15 days then send an email.

Vadim

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Vadim! I'll give it a go; logically it sounds like it should alleviate some of the issues with the delays

0 Kudos
Warwick
Scout

Jump to solution

For this sort of scenario I had 1 workflow running a loop sending a email every 15 days if a column in a list hasn't been updated.

I then had another workflow which would start on modification if the column was updated and would go an cancel the notification workflow.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

This actually works really well!  Do you know if there is a way to have the system not send a cancelled workflow notification email when the update happens?

0 Kudos
Warwick
Scout

Jump to solution

I have that turned off at the farm level and have them only sent to a shared mailbox.

Maybe have the admin account start the reminder workflow and it will then be sent to the admin account rather than the end user.

0 Kudos
jesse_mchargue
Nintex Workflow Cloud Expert
Nintex Workflow Cloud Expert

Jump to solution

Warwick Ward​ -

This is how I would approach it too; have a single site workflow that assess your target list and determines if a notification is required or not.

You would need to also assess if it is time for a notification (meaning is it +15, +30, etc days after [Created]).

This would eliminate any workflows running for a long time and you could schedule it to run on your frequency.

I would then also have a list workflow that would trigger as soon as the item was updated to the value that you are looking for.

This eliminates the possibility of items being updated midday but not getting picked up by the site workflow until its scheduled time.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos