Pass item information onto new task via list view control

• 10 April 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

In our workflow there is a point where tasks need to be created and assigned manually. I can not think of a way to automate this as the task will change from item to item.

So what I have is the below

• Standard list call "RFC"
  • Task list called "RFCA Tasks"

What I am trying to achieve

In a list view control on the RFC form, click the Add new item link and create a task in the RFCA tasks list. In doing this I need it to set the value of the "Related RFC Number" field in the new task from the RFC so that I can filter the list view control.

I hope this makes sense. I have some screen shots below that should hopefully help to clear any confusion.

List view control on the RFC form

Related RFC number field on the RFCA Tasks form

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

your requirements sound to me little inconsistent.

at one hand you say you need to create a task as a step in workflow, but at the other hand you want to let it create freely from list item.

how does responsible 'Task creator' knows he/she can or should (already) create a task?

furthermore, if you just create new task list item manually, workflow will not take care of it at all since there will be no respective action in it.

I would suggest following approach:

- assign a task for responsible 'Task creator' to collect all the needed info from him/her to decide then in workflow whether task should be created and what should be the task content.

- based on the info collected, decide in workflow (set condition action; or yet better state machine action) let the workflow run through respective branch with or without task.

Badge +1

Hi Marian,

Thank you for your reply and I know that it does not make a lot of sense however that is what the business wants.

The RFC Workflow gets to a certain step (Funnily enough called "RFCA") when the user that monitors the RFC process will look at all the data that has been gathered from the various approvals and reviews that it has gone through and will then create RFCA (Request For Change Action) items in order to fulfil the RFC (Request For Change). I am thinking about creating a separate and much simpler Workflow to manage the RFCA task list.

Once all the RFCA items have been created it is then up to the manager of the RFC process to monitor the progress of these tasks.

I appreciate your suggestion to take a different path however some help to achieve what I am trying to do would be appreciated.

Thank you happy.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

The RFC Workflow gets to a certain step

how does "user that monitors RFC process" know workflow is already in 'the certain step" and he can or should proceed with his actions?

and how do you at the same time ensure that workflow waits and gets confirmed that "user that monitors RFC process" has taken his actions?

only way I think of is to assign a task to "user that monitors RFC process"  - that's the task to 'Task creator' I mentioned above.

I am thinking about creating a separate and much simpler Workflow to manage the RFCA task list.

what should this workflow do?

assign a task to someone to carry on 'request for change action'? - so effectively creating workflow task list item to respond another workflow task list item?

you should keep track of 'request for change actions' in your own custom list and create a workflow on that list.

it's not a good practice to customize workflow task list neither to create custom workflows on it.

so, this is as well what I've moreless suggested above, I just wasn't aware from your description your work with 2 separate entities (request for change and request for change action)

however some help to achieve what I am trying to do would be appreciated

hopefully I've sufficiently explained that I DID provide a possible way to go.