Solved

Send Notification to user with form dpending on list item status

• 11 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi All

Im struggling to think clearly on how to achieve my goal with this workflow. Decided to ask for help.

I have a basic list. it consists of Stock within IT Department.

If i Change the stock availability (Stock Out), i want to send a notification to user, with a form attached to confirm they have received the stock, which will update the list to received.

If i change to stock in. I want to again send a notification to same user to confirm received and then update the item.

Ive tried many things and it works only with stock in but i got frustrated and deleted the workflows and decided to start fresh. now im blank.

your help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by bamaeric 12 May 2021, 23:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

You can look at configuring workflows using the Conditional Start option on list item modified. Also create a Status field on your list to help with tracking.

First create a list workflow for the Stock Out scenario and use the Conditions option on the "Start when items are modified" field in Workflow Settings. You can configure the Conditions option on item modified as something like "Status = Stock Out AND Status (previous value) = Stock In". This workflow will only run when you change the Status column from Stock In to Stock Out. You can then place actions in that workflow to send notifications and update other item columns. You could possibly use a task action to send a task to the user to complete to confirm they got the stock, then update any list item columns. If you're also using Nintex Forms, you could update the task form to collect whatever data you need and use that data in the rest of the workflow.

You could also create a second list workflow that is similar to the first one and runs only when the Status changes from Stock Out to Stock In. Then add other actions in that workflow to update item columns.

Hi @bamaeric 

Thanks for your guidance. its led me down the right path. I didnt even think of having two Workflows running side by side. was so focused on making it one.

Thanks alot.

One issue with the 'Assign Flexi task' though

No matter what i do, i cannot get the notification to update the username correctly.

it keeps displaying i:0#.w/domain/username.

Ive done the 'set variable' in the past to resolve this on 'send Notification' but no matter what i do, it just wont change on 'assign flexi task' All i want is to display the name that is present in the Item name field🙄

ive tried the 'regular expression' and it changes to username (In our domain, its a code not a name)

I do appreciate your help thus far.

Kind regards

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

You should be able to use the "Set variable" action to help you get the user display name.  Add a "Set variable" action to your workflow and configure it with the following steps.

• Create a text variable to set.

• Choose "List Lookup" in the Equals drop down.

• Choose "Current item" as the Source.

• In the Field drop down, select your list column that is storing your name (I'm assuming it is a People Picker field).

• Click on the three dots to the right of Field to "Select the format for this value".

• In "Select return type", select the Display Name option from the "Return type for" drop down.

• Save the action.

This should allow you to store the display name for the user in the People Picker in a workflow variable. You can then use that in your Assign Flexi Task action email.

Hi @bamaeric 

Thanks for all the help. all is working as it should. Both responses from you are accepted as solutions.

I really appreciate it

Kind regards