Copy based on updated filed

• 17 February 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have 2 lists on the same page: 1 active work list, 1 Archive list

List 1 has multiple field and lookups, list 2 is plain text only.

In the end of list one is a field that will be manually checked if the process for that line has been closed.

This field should trigger an action that the item will be moved to the archive part. (I tried copy and delete)

So, I used the "wait for item update" option and indicated that value "Yes" should trigger the action.

I tried to test first by copying the line to the Archive list but not able to succeed. Can someone help me how I can resolve this?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

Are you sure the workflow is still active when you change the value of the field? happy.png Does the workflow move on when the value is changed? Have you try logging some information so that you can be sure your copy action is eventually executed?

Generally speaking, usage of "Wait" actions is not recommended as they have impact on efficiency. If you cannot justify automatically that the process is closed and then push workflow into a different state (so in such case I would recommend usage of state machine), why don't you create a separate workflow you will run once the line process is closed?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +16

Can you utilise conditional start on your workflow rather than using wait for item update?

can you post some screenshots please?

Badge +1

Not sure if my list type is interrupting the WF.

Below you see that I am using Performance Point in combination with lookups just to make life easier happy.png

KPI

I created a "trigger" field to get the thing going

Archive

I created a new list in SharePoint but now I only used text fields as I only want to see the values

Archive

Now I created a simple WF to test my options:

WF

I inserted the email notification to check what happens though do not even get an email.

Any suggestions? happy.png

Edit: WF field settings:

Copy:

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Copy item will only work if the Content Types in both lists are the same.  And with that it's only going to copy the fields that match.  So if both lists use the "Item" content type, and the only common field is "Title", then that's the only information that will get copied.  Since you have different fields in each list, it's not going to work.

If you want to keep the lists they way you have them, you'll need to create a new item in the 2nd list, and then update each field in the 2nd list with the information from the 1st list you want to put there.

Badge +1

OK, so my issue is that I doubt that the flow runs.

Deleted the WF and created a new one. The only action is to send me an email when a condition changes.

Added a new column to the list and created the WF.  Email is not coming in so expect the issue in an other area.

Any Idea's?