'Workflow Tasks stuck as 'Not Started'

Badge +3

I have two different approval workflows where the person kicking off the workflow can enter the users they want to request approval from in the start form of each instance of the workflow. This is working and capturing the names of all of the users but the tasks do not send the notification email asking them to approve or reject and the task status stays as "Not Started" until I delegate the tasks back to the same user. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies

Badge +3

Badge +3

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have you tried to write content of Approvers variable to a log to see its actual content?

but to be honest I do not understand the purpose of this 'conversion' step.

you take value of Approvers (likely person & group field?), tries to convert it to their respective mail addresses and tries to write list of mail addresses (string) back into a people variable?

that' very likely where your list of approvers gets lost....

Badge +3

The flexi task is running and creating the Tasks for each user but the tasks are stuck as "Not Started". I allow the initiator to enter unique users every time they run an instance of the workflow, set a date of escalation for the duration of the workflow and a number of reminders to send during that duration. I then capture all of that information in variables and use them within the flexi task, alerts and escalation to set all of them. Are these variables not necessary and being captured in the start form?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

tasks are stuck as "Not Started".

that's correct, I guess. the status doesn't change on its own. it only changes if you respond the task, delegate it or change&save without submit.

so it looks like tasks are created correctly - can your assignee open&respond the task if they navigate directly to task list and open it from there or from 'Workflow status' page?

Badge +3

I am not sure but they should be able to. Currently the tasks go into "Not Started" and they do not receive the e-mail alerting them to their existence. From there I have been going into each task individually myself and delegating it back to the same person who it was originally assigned to. This sends the e-mail and they are able to approve from there

Badge +3

And also delegating the task puts the Status as "In Progress"

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

it sounds to me to be just mailing problem.

as a first step I would try to remove that conversion step I mentioned above. assuming Approvers is people & group field, it's not necessary.

(you can just disable workflow action, you need not actually remove it)

can you post how do you have configured task's notification tab?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that's correct happy.png

Badge +3

Thank you so much. This has helped me tremendously.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you're welcome happy.png