Move a workflow by a different user submitting a task outcome

• 15 February 2018
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

We have a special request that an assistant can reject a request on behalf of an approver but the assistant cannot approve the request which has to be done by the approver.

I found this article. But I can't seem to be able to follow what the author had done.

How to keep moving a workflow on clicking of a button in a list form other than submitting a task form. 

I don't see the new outcome field that was created for the new content type which is "Nintex Workflow Multi Outcome Task" in our case. Our workflow actually uses the "WorkflowOutcome" field instead.

I then updated the "Status" field to "Completed" and the "WorkflowOutcome" field to "Approved" on a form by the same user who is assigned to the task and different user (the assistant). Both did not work and the workflow did not move at all.

We are using Nintex Workflow 2013.

Did I miss anything?

Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

how do you recognize whether current user is a Approver or Assistant?

do you have them listed in a sharepoint list? or do they a flag in their profile?

Badge +1

The assistants and their relationship with the approvers are defined in a SharePoint list. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

then you could implement it as follows

- assign the task to both Approver and Assistant

- on a task form create a validation rule like

Decission == <Value of Approve outcome> && length(lookup('ManagerAssistantsList','AssistantField',CurrentUser,'ID',true)) > 0

the rule will ensure that if current user being responding the task is listed as an assistant on the list and he/she selects 'Approve' outcome, that form will not validate and doesn't allow to submit.

Badge +1

Thanks for your reply. I don't think we can assign the task to the assistant because we have multiple approvers to approve the doc and they are set to "all have to approve". Each approver might have multiple assistants and each group of assistants are set to "anyone approve". The best solution we found so far is to allow the assistant to update his/her approvers' task form. But it looks like it's not doable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

yeah, that's quite complex scenario.

then maybe as a most suitable option I would see to create a separate 'Task Reject Request list' where assistants could register their request to reject active tasks. create a workflow on the list that processes the requests and by a call to Workflow.asmx webservice respond (reject) specified tasks.

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/sdks/sdk2013/#Reference/SOAP/NW_REF_SOAP_ProcessFlexiTaskResponse2.htm%3FTocPath%3DNintex%…