Save list data via XML and convert into a document at the end of the nintex workflow

• 26 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hello,

In SharePont 2013 using Nintex Workflow.  I created a message board for users to submit a message.  Since SharePoint can only hold about 5000 records I think, I want to convert the data that is submitted by using XML.  The problem I run into is that once I create a document using the XML data, I can't open the XML document within SharePoint (Gives me a error message).  If I download the document an open it up via NotePad++, I get a bunch of alien characters. Does anybody have any experience with this.  I'm new to XML and I was told XML was the best way to capture data.  I attached some screenshots of what I'm trying to do.  One thing I will note is that I'm able to spit out the information within a workflow email.  Just want to somehow spit that information into a document.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi,

What do you mean by "Since SharePoint can only hold about 5000 records I think"

And coming to your requirement - you have two different options to achieve this.

if you are generating a document with SharePoint list data and your document always has a same structure,

• Create a word document with fillable fields (refer this link for steps to create one)

• Option-1: Use the "Update Document" action to populate your word document with list item data 

• Option-2: If your Nintex license offers "Document Generation" populate the document using "Document Generation" action

Both works similar ways, but the second option can be used to generate PDF document also. And other uses too.