Save button still submits workflow

• 3 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

The "save" button in the form should only save the item while the "save and submit button" should save the form and run the workflow. The problem I am having is that my workflow runs even if the save button is pressed. Right now my workflow runs when a new item is created so I am guessing that is the problem. So how can I utilize the save button without running a workflow AND automatically run a workflow when a user clicks on the "save and submit" button?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Create a column in your SharePoint list.
In the advanced section of the "Save" button connect it to the column and populate it with a word.
Do the same for the Save and Submit Button.
In the workflow use a conditional start that only starts when it sees the word that was used in the Save And Submit button.

Check the button settings. If you right-click on it there's a drop-down menu for Button Action for each button. Make sure your save button is only set to Save, not Save and Submit.

Also, you could use conditional start on the workflow instead of just starting it automatically when a new item is created and have it use the Status field and make sure the Value Returned isn't set to Complete for the Save button. These are in the Advanced section for the button.

Badge
What about a button to start the workflow after the list item has been saved. I have my form setup so the Initiate workflow button is available in the edit form and the workflow is setup to start when modified using the same condition as the start. But when I open the list item and click the initialize workflow button nothing happens.

So the flow is:
New Item -> Save and Initialize -> Property gets set to "Submit" -> workflow started
AND
Save Item -> Save and Initialize -> Property is NOT setting