An error occurred while the form was being submitted.

• 9 March 2009
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hi All,

I have a 2 stage workflow here is my scenario:

1-       Submitter opens a form and fills out a three texbox and submits the form for the approval (initiates a workflow)

2-       Approver opens the form and just approves or rejects the form. After this step (regardless of  approval or reject) the form is recorded on an SP Library.

I use the browser (internet explorer 7.0) all the time not infopath.

My problem is on submitting the forms.

The toolbar should not appear on the page. Instead, I created buttons on the form for submission. Initial submitter submits the form without any problem. When it comes to the aprrover, the page is opened ok, but when the approver clicks on the approve or the reject buttons I created on the page it gives me an error: “Some rules were not applied. An error occurred while the form was being submitted.”

I changed many configurations but neither of them worked fine.

In the approval stage my customized buttons have three rules on each.

·         First updates a dataSection on the form. (This data section is the task action field where the action name is located)

·         Then submits the form. (To the same web Service as the initial submitter submits) (Initial Submitters customized button works by the way) 

·         And then closes the form.

When I press the Submit button on the toolbar (although it should not appear on the page, I made it appear for test purposes), it works fine but the customized buttons does not work at all.

Here is the content of the pop-up page when an accept or reject button is clicked on the page:

Some rules were not applied.

Click Continue to resume filling out the form. You may want to check your form data for errors.
Click Start Over to load a new copy of the form.

---------------------------Hide error details-----------------------

An error occurred while the form was being submitted.

Any Ideas?

9 replies

Badge +6

Are you using droddown control for approve or reject the infopath form

Or you have two button for approve or reject.

please verify once again on the Rules, check the each views and set the outcome values

Refer the submit rules(since it is working fine) with regard to approve, reject rules

Please send me the xsn file i provide my help.

Badge +1

Hi,

My form is set to open in the browser.  The form submits successfully for me only and everyone else gets the message that "An error occurred while the form was being submitted".

K2 is used for the workflow.  The form is designed in InfoPath 2007 and we're running SharePoint 2007.

Urgent assistance in this regard is highly appreciated.

Badge +10

First off I'd double check that those users have Start Permissions for the K2 process.  Once that's verified try the below technique.

Its a bit difficult with Forms Services since the browser version of the form often hides the description of the error message.  One technique that I use is to go to another users machine that has infopath thick client installed and when they open the task it opens in the browser with a long Form Services URL.

Change the end of that URL from e.g. DefaultItemOpen=1 to DefaultItemOpen=0 and hit enter.  This should cause the form to be download and opened in InfoPath.  Have them try submitting and then look at the more descriptive error message.

Badge +1

Hi,

You're right, they didn't have START permissions for the K2 process.

Some of them are originators and others are approvers.  Which of the following permissions do I give them?

1. Admin
  2. Start
  3. View
  4. View Participate
  5. Server Admin

Thanx

Badge +10

Only the people that startthe process (originators) need to be given Start permissions.  People that are assigned work in the process (destination users) will automatically be given the permission in K2 to be able to complete their work (although if you're using SharePoint with K2 then you may need to set additional SharePoint permissions as well).  Sometimes you might want to give people View or View Participate permissions so that they can run K2 reports or look at the K2 Viewflow diagram.

Here is a description from the K2 help at

K2 Workspace > K2 Management Console > Workflow Server > Processes > Workflow Server - Processes: Process Rights

Permission Description:

Admin Allows the user to Start and View a process. The user needs to be granted Admin rights (see Users: Process Rights) to manage the process from the Management Console

Start Allows the user to start a process - without it the user will receive an error if attempting to start a process

View Allows the user to view any process instance of the process, enabling them to draw any report on the process in K2 Workspace, without being a participant in the process

View Participate Allows a participant, i.e. the user defined as the destination user for one of the process activities, to view the details of the process instance. The user will only be able to access process reports and the activity instance once it has reached the activity for which they are a destination user

Server Event Asynchronous server events wait for a call-back from the external system to finish the server event. The user account used by the external system must be granted Server Event permissions for it to be allowed to finish the server event

Badge +1

Hi,

I gave "Everyone"  VIEW permissions but the error still comes up when the user tries to submit.  Does K2 recognise "Everyone" or should I give the permission to the individual user ID?

Badge +1

I gave VIEW permission to the individual user ID's.  Some of the users belong to a security enabled e-mail distribution group so I gave the VIEW permission to the e-mail distribution group and not to the individual ID.

Four of them tested so far and the form submitted successfully:

1. One of them has permission assigned to his individual ID
  2. One of them is already an administrator on K2
  3. Two of them are members of a security enabled e-mail distribution group

This leaves me with the opinion that K2 does not recognise "Everyone".  Why is that?

This isn't good for me because most of my forms going forward need to be accessible to everyone in our AD domain.  How do I achieve that?

Badge +10

You're correct, in my tests on bp 4.5 1230 the Everyone group did not work for Start permissions.

However, another way to provide everyone in your domain access to initiate the process is to give the "Domain Users" group Start permissions.  Note that View permissions are only required for Viewing the K2 Reports and K2 Viewflow diagram.  Providing someone View permissions does not allow them the ability to start the process.

Badge +1

Thank you very much, it worked, you're a star. !