suzanne63
Nintex Newbie

Run if - I Have Totally Forgotten

Jump to solution

Hello ,

I have a very simple and I mean simple workflow that I cannot get to work properly.

The workflow is set to run when a new item is created and when the item is modified.  The Initiator is sent notification of receipt, request is worked and the status is changed to closed, the workflow starts sends notification of completion. That works.....but....if the status is changed to in progress or pending the Initiator is sent notification of receipt again...WHY???

This simple workflow is making me so frustrated.

Thanks - Suzanne

0 Kudos
12 Replies
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Re: Run if - I Have Totally Forgotten

Jump to solution

Put a log action in there just before the If action to verify the Status is not set to Closed.

suzanne63
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Do you mean the Log in History? I have never used this action.  I will have to pull out the user manual!!

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

No its easier than you think. All you have to do is log anything so you can see how far it is getting. You can also use variables and fields in it to see their values. The text you create will show up in the workflow history of the item.

suzanne63
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Will this stop the Initiator from receiving an acknowledgement of receipt when the status is changed to Cancelled,  In Progress or Pending?

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

All the Log History action does is just logs. It does not interfere with the other actions.

suzanne63
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks - that is not quite what I am looking for.

I want to workflow to:

1.  Send acknowledgement of receipt.

2. Run only again when the status is changed to closed to send notice of completion.

What it is doing now is sending the acknowledgement of receipt when the status is changed to Cancelled, In Progress or Pending even though the Run if action states Closed.  So the initiator is receiving acknowledgement of receipt more than once.

0 Kudos
gman
Process Pupil

Jump to solution

Suzanne, the reason for this is that there is no condition for the Request Received email. Every time the workflow runs that email will be sent regardless of how the workflow got started. One way to resolve this is to check the status before sending the Request Received email. If you don't have an option in your Status field, add a default of Requested so that only new items have that status. You can then change the status to something other than Requested after sending the email and exiting the workflow.

The workflow may run when other activities change status, but only when it is Request or Closed will any emails be sent.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
suzanne63
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I am not sure that will work.  We are not manually sending the Request Received e-mail.

The Acknowledgement of Receipt is sent automatically once the Initiator submits the request.

The Operations Status is set to New.

The team edits the request to In Progress or Pending (for their use only).  The Initiator does not need any notification (but is receiving).

Once the team completes the request, they edit the request to Closed.  The initiator receives notice of Completion.

0 Kudos
gman
Process Pupil

Jump to solution

Suzanne, there are other ways to resolve the problem, but the reason for repeating emails they're receiving is that there is no condition for the Request Received email. Every time the workflow runs that email will be sent regardless of how the workflow got started.

0 Kudos