Custom display name and associated URL

• 7 September 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

How do I create a Display Name along with it's URL? For example, Nintex provides "Context Item Display Name" along with "Context Item URL" in the Common list of fields provided. I need to create a similar set so that I can display a name on a Flexi task form and when the workflow runs, send the user to the document set associated with the application.

Thanks is advance,

Bill

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello Bill Lohne‌ - 

Something that I do is capture the URL in the item and then you can reference it in the Task form. We do this for a document generation workflow and we generate the link to the final document. I tested pushing the URL into the Flexi Task form and resulted in this:

190708_pastedImage_1.png

You can edit the form to display more/less of the item if needed, but this should get you what you need.

I am updating the FinalDoc URL in my workflow and then have an approval step afterward. I did not find a way to alter the "Display text" of the URL, just the value. However, if you go into the item and update it, the task form does reflect the change.

Hope this helps!

Badge +3

Thanks Jesse. I've tried working this with no viable results. Here is what I'm trying to do - maybe this will become clear after I show you my intent. Part of the approval form is shown below. I have included the "Context Item URL" for clarity. The form displayed to the user does not include anything below the "New - Department Approval" line other than the approval link. I need a variable on the form in place of the "New - - - -" that states "Review Document Set" and when clicked goes to "http://test-worksmart.sbafla.com/sites/BillTestArea/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/WorkOrders/Forms/AllItems.aspx". I can't have the url displayed on the form - users would get confused.

191069_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks,

Bill

Badge +3

Jesse,

What I ended up doing was to edit the code (HTML) for the link to go where I wanted to go. I believe this is what you were recommending in your helpful suggestion - thank you. Managed to get my juices flowing and got everything working as wanted to minimize user confusion.

Bill

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Bill Lohne‌ - 

I was going to write up something along these lines for you as a possible working solution for you. My idea was to create a workflow variable that was the URL and one for the Display Name and then use HTML to get it in there. Seems like we were on the same page!

Also, you can use the same variables on a notification, simply Insert > Reference:

191222_pastedImage_1.png

Glad you got it working though!

Badge +3

I put the value in to get through some testing – will now assign to variables. Thank you!