Convert string dates to date

• 23 March 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +11

I have in a list a string column that holds dates. The dates are basically in a format like Apr 5 2000 12:00AM. In another list, I would like to update this data in which I put it in a date field. I don't want to include the time. Preferably I'd like it to be 4/5/2000. How can I get my workflow to do this in Nintex 2013?

7 replies

Badge +17

Lisa,

You should be able to create a variable, and manipulate the type of data that is outputted.  You can also convert the string using an expression.  Haven't done that in a while, but it should be doable.

My other thought would be to go into the list and use a calculated field to do the conversion before the workflow gets it.

Badge +11

Hey Eric! I've been working on this all blasted day and I'm really getting frustrated. I'm on a deadline and I've tried manipulating to no avail! The deadline is not allowing me to think properly! happy.png Can  you give me a screenshot? I'm copying data from one list to another.

Badge +17

Okay spoke to soon... I did this the easiest way possible as fast as possible to get you a result you could work with. That unfortunately was first outside the workflow.  I used a conversion formula "=DATE(YEAR(Field1)+0,MONTH(Field1)+0,DAY(Field1)+0)" in a calculated field to convert the string to a date value.  I can then use that field in the workflow as is.

You can see Field 1 is my string field. Converted is the calculated column where the conversion is happening.

180981_pastedImage_0.png

Here is a screenshot of the calculated column setup and here is the formula again =DATE(YEAR(Field1)+0,MONTH(Field1)+0,DAY(Field1)+0)

180982_pastedImage_1.png

I'm not adding anything to it and I probably don't need all of it, but again this was a quick one for you.

Hope that helps.

Badge +11

It isn't working. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what. I set up a calculated field as you said, only I put it in the format Month Date Year. So I changed the formula around. What exactly do I need to do in the workflow?

Badge +17

Lisa,

I'm using the field to change the value not the workflow. Try using the formula as I sent it over, its a regex formula and should work fine. The formula will recognize the text as Month Day Year Time and then transpose it accordingly. 

Care to share your formula and screenshots?

Badge +11

Ok....I will but right now SharePoint is down. I'll do it soon as it comes back up.

Badge +11

This worked!!!! Whoooo hooooo!!!! cool.png Thanks so much Eric!!! I just had to get a workflow to take that calculated field and put it in the fields I already created.