Check in action - no version change causes workflow to fail

• 16 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +9

Hello!

I have a library where major and minor versioning enabled. The library has a few approval workflows , when someone approves the task it goes to the next flexi task. When each person approves the task, there is a check in action configured to save as minor version.

When the final approver approves the task, the document gets saved as a major version using the check in action.

After the final approver I have another workflow that is triggered and it checks the date field to see if the approver left it empty or if a date was picked by the approver. If the date was left empty then I  have a calculate date that adds 6 months to that field.

The issue that I am running into is, when the date is set I use the check in action with no version change. This gives me a generic error "the workflow failed ".

I checked the logs and found the following error, " you can not checkin and overwrite a published file. "

Is anyone running into this issue?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

This is how this Sharepoint feature works.

You have the same behaviour in the Sharepoint UI. On checked out published versions of documents, you are not allowed to check it in

Badge +9

Hi Fernando!

The document is checked back in as a major version and all i wanted to do was update a field with the workflow using no version change.

Badge +2

Have you ever solved the issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi, unfortunately I think that is not possible to check in without version change if a document is in major version, in my test this check-in type works only if the document is in minor version..

Badge +2

thats the funny thing, if its only Major Version allowed then it works for major version...if you have minor version enabled it does not work anymore...