Calculated values slow down form loading to the point of making the form no longer usable

• 14 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Dear community,

we are currently facing havy problems with our Nintex form.

In a nutshell, our form uses a total of 25 Looup fields, each providing a numeric value based on a choice of Yes or No, e.g. Yes means 0,25 and No means 0,10.

To sum up the single values, we use a calculated value that provides the result.

The lookup fields are used in two sections, which means we have to calculated values, one for each usecase.

This has the effect, that the form need about 5 seconds to react, as each calculation is done automatically at runtime, regardless if needed or not.

No the customer came up with the idea to have a repeating section with each section having a calculated value.

That made the form no longer usable, as ten entries in the repeating section multiply the loading time to the point that the browser (we use IE) comes up with a message about a script that prevents the browser to react.

Does anyone have an idea if it is possible to stop the calculated values to calculate automatically? Or to make them calculate by a trigger, e.g. using JavaScript?

And would it make sense to replace the lookups with something else?

Looking forward to you replies.

Best regards,

Ben

2 replies

Badge +2

Hey Ben:

There's a good article here on the site in regards to NF best practices and improving performance:

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/How-to-Improve-Form-Performance-and-Improve-User-Experience/td-p/84847

The bottom line is that Nintex recommends minimizing lookup columns and calculated fields. I would consider a couple of things:

1. Is there a way to not use as many lookup columns?

2. Same for calced values

3. If the form is part of a larger workflow process, is there a way to break the form up into parts as the data goes through the process?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Recently ran into a similar problem myself (Classic Form / On Prem - 2016 / Chrome Browser) where large forms would take a little over a minute to load. 

Because the backing code that makes Lookup calls for the Control is burried and a bit tangled, I didn't wanna mess with it (and end up breaking something else). 

That really only leaves the option of either writing a new Lookup-like Custom Control and import it into our environment, or make a jquery-ui widget that can sit on top of a standard Single Line Text Control but will, for all intents and purposes, work like a Lookup (only with the added flex of allowing me to better control value caching and async loading). 

Being that I'm fairly certain there won't be any major updates to the Classic Form, I feel doubtful that this performance issue regarding Lookups in Repeating Sections will ever be addressed, but one can hope. 

If I find that I can write a solution that might work for people in the community, I'll release it :D !